unburned pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
I am sure it is the quality of the pellets, but I always have alot of unburned pellets in the burn pot. Np matter if I have the damper wide open or almost shut. Would anything else cause this besides poor quality pellets?

possibly to fast of a feed rate

I had that problem for two days. In my case it was because I neglected to tightly latch the ash drawer. Air leak! As soon as I corrected that, the fire burned hot and the pellets had a complete burn. Don't have any idea if an air leak is your problem, but it is worth making sure it isn't. I'm sure you will get other suggestions. That is the beauty of this forum!

There is nothing like another source of air that is outside of the proper air path through the burn pot to make things not burn well.

A loose fitting door (gasket going bad, not fully seated, not fully closed and latched). Lots of small otherwise benign things acting together.

Pellets can come into play as well, a control board improperly jumpered that allows different fuels to be burned selected by a jumper or has jumper selected test/normal modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.