Underground propane tank install - need advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Usafexplorer

Jan 28, 2018
Iowa
I have a 1000 gallon underground propane tank install that I'm planning for the spring and want to get my materials lined up.

There is a leased above ground tank currently on the property that will be removed. I called the local county office and no inspections or permits are required; nice thing about being in the country.

I understand the importance of anode bags and plan on installing two to preserve the tank. My questions primarily cover supply line to the house and what type or size should be used. I'm also considering running propane to my shop off the same tank, how is the supply line 'T' installed?

I appreciate any help or guidance that is offered.

As far as size goes, I'd think you'd need to calculate your BTU load, and size accordingly. Your propane company should be able to help with that. Around here they use soft copper line to run underground. The "T" can be installed anytime after the regulator. Then back to copper for the shop. Are you buying the tank or leasing it? I'd never bury a leased tank, you are then locked into one company, no matter what their price.

Thanks for the reply. I'm buying a tank designed to be installed in the ground. The tank is used and has only been used as an above ground tank; the outside has been painted and protected from the elements.

I need to find a coating/paint designed to protect the tank for the underground conditions.

I would think a tar like coating like they use for foundation walls might be a good choice.

Might want to check the state regs first- There is a reason why Propane tanks are above ground. Like a leaky NG line the gas can collect in pockets and we have seen the results of some of those over the years. Back in the day when busing wasn't even thought of yet there was a NG leak- a few blocks away from my home- seems it collected under a garage floor ( detached unit) one morning it made NASA green with envy. Initially we though it was just another sonic boom from the Military flights between General Mitchell Field and Camp Douglas. ( yepp long long ago)

State and county have no problem with underground tanks here in Iowa. Underground tanks are designed for this very purpose; when someone tries to bury an above ground tank that is another situation.