Uneven dirty glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

joshlac

Feb 3, 2023
Dublin
Hi,

Could you help me with a issue I've with the new Vitae 9kW stove?
My glass is getting dirty and I know it's the wood that makes the glass dirty, but my question is why only left side of the stove gets dirty? (see photo).
I did change the wood to more dry one, but still I'm getting left part fogged up a bit while the right side stays clear.
How I can modify/adjust the air wash system to prevent this uneven air circulation?

IMG_9356.jpeg

This can be an indication of a poor gasket seal on that side. Check by doing the dollar bill (euro note) test around the door to see if the seal is poor in that location. If the note needs a firm tug to move it the gasket is sealing well there. If the bill pulls out easily then the gasket is not sealing well in that area.

I had a similar problem with my buck stove. The air wash baffle was almost touching the glass on the left side of the door. It took me a while to figure out that this was the issue. Air flow designed to clean the glass was lessened on this side. I ended up removing about 1/16 of an inch of the baffle on this side using a metal file. It took a bit of time to make the whole baffle evenly spaced from the glass but remedied this issue. Now the glass stay clean evenly

Thank you both, I did the dollar bill test and it’s impossible to take the paper out on the right side of the stove without tearing the paper. The left side is very tight too, but I managed to pull it out. Would that small difference be enough to have issues with dirty glass? I made some additional photos to show the baffles and seal. There’s secondary seal between glass and the door frame, but I can’t test its tightness…

AA77C55A-38CA-4088-B816-5EC44FDC75D6.jpeg 3952EB99-9922-4E4F-BF81-73A2099429B1.jpeg

It is hard to tell for sure, but my glass fits tighter to the baffle than yours does. After seeing those pictures I doubt that is your problem

Is your baffle secure and in the right position? The baffles in mine are just resting on the air tubes so I have to check that they are not out of position.

I get that on my glass when I a restarting the stove and open up the ash drawer to increase the draft or when I am out for the day and my wife burns too cool.

Try burning a nice hot fire next time and see if the sooting continues. If it does, have the dealer take a look at the glass gasket sealing .

Try burning a nice hot fire next time and see if the sooting continues. If it does, have the dealer take a look at the glass gasket sealing .
A good hot, efficient burn usually cleans the glass off for me.

Reactions: marty319
I need to talk to the manufacturer about the glass seal… photo below of the fire, dry wood, 30mins burn time and left side all dirty! I did some photos of the top baffle, looks to be in line.

A92AC4E1-C14D-49AC-A97E-99BD18FB86A0.jpeg CBDE866E-C0C1-4499-8EC8-F47EFB2158A0.jpeg F63C93DA-44E7-4F18-ACB3-CFD379AFEC90.jpeg

The sooting goes right to the back on the left side.

It's not a very big fire. Next time build a larger fire that fills the firebox.