Unhooked OAK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jss227

Burning Hunk
Dec 15, 2014
Hancock Maine
For the first time in four years I've had problems with my OAK getting snow in it. Every 1-1 1/2 hours it would plug up. Well, tomorrows another day.

I've had to slide the hose off and blow mine out with reversed shop vac to clear the screen during these recent snowstorms.

I have definitely had some wind issues this year. Blowing in directions they normally don't in winter.. They have been playing havoc on my vacuum switch blowing in my oak and smoke stack.

Odd direction of winds lately or heavier snow fall? Or both?
Both. 54 inches of snow in the last week, will have about 16-18 inches by morning from this storm. The snow is really fine and blows right through the screen on the oak ( 20+ mph winds ) Just an odd combo of the snow and wind blowing straight into the oak. My walls have 11 inches of insulation so quite a bit of snow can build up in there before it gets to the warm area behind the stove. Also with the good insulation means my stove is only running on 3 despite it being 2* outside, so I'm not really drawing a lot of air through it. Just one of those things.

I have the basic OAK that has a hood so wondering if that is more effective in protecting the intake screen...

I had to dig mine out this morning and clear it. When I move the stove upstairs next year I'm going direct temp all the way, no more frozen intakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.