uninsulated flex Liner in old uninsulated brick chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 16, 2015
bc canada
hi. My shop had 40 years of burning liner less brick chimney. I think the chimney doesn't touch to much wood in the building attic. Anyways so I an going to put an uninsulated liner down there to improve things. and the guy that sold it tole me to just bend the Liner in threw the hole and out and then connect the black pipe to that, rather than installing a t inside or a pass threw thimble. I don't see any problem with this, I have been using it for about 2 years but am not going to improve things a bit.
Not sure if I should insulate the liner or at a pass threw thimble. It seems expensive and the liner came out clean after two years of burning.

here is a picture of the way the stove was installed. The flex liner went directly to the stove. I know the pipe is not very strong and that is probably not safe but, as far as skipping the thimble/ t/ snout and all that..is this dangerous. ? All I can think of is the liner touching the brick making a hotspot, but then again doesn't a thimble do that too ?

Attachments

• uninsulated flex Liner in old uninsulated brick chimney
    unnamed-3-2.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 124
Yes you need a tee. Yes it should be insulated. If you don't have the required amount of masonry around the crock you need an insulated thimble.

hi do you have any experices about why this Liner pulled threw is a problem though ?
It doesn't allow for a reservoir to allow material to accumulate. And it kinks the liner really hard creating a potential failure spot due to expansion and contraction.