Unintentional 12 hours from my PH

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rideau

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2012
southern ontario
Was away from home for a few weeks, Came home to 40 degrees, wet, strong wind blowing from the North over the lake. House 50 degrees, about noon.

Unpacked, installed new inconal screen on my Woodstock Progress Hybrid, lit a fire about 5 PM. Before lighting the fire, noticed the draft was really something in the flue...couldn't miss the sound.

Used a homemade firestarter, some dry, small dimension unsplit dogwood, ditto sugar maple.
Loaded the stove maybe 1/6 full....not very much wood. Intention to burn down to just coals, then load about 1/2 with some splits and go to bed....very tired after two days with no sleep, and a long drive.

Life happens, tied up with family stuff til about 11 PM, house 68 degrees. Noted the wood was in coals, but large coals, still could see the original shape of the wood. So decided to let the fire burn down to less coals before reloading, so I'd be loading on a smaller bed of coals and get a slower burning fire for the night. Sat down with a book, and next thing I knew it was 4:45 AM, stove and double wall flue temps both about 100, stove still good and warm to the touch and radiating heat, room temp down to 63.

Opened the bypass and air, raked the ashes away from the front, noted the only coals were about 2 cups of very small coals in the back of the stove, Everything else powder white ash. Raked the few coals to the front, ash to the front as well, loaded a flat piece of very dry maple, cut off the outside of a log, 5" on bark side, but only about 2 inches deep, on top of the coals, then about 5 2" diameter unsplit dogwood in the back of the firebox, then a bunch of 1 inch dogwood branches...for maybe a 1/3 fill of the firebox. Shut the door and walked away. In well under 5 minutes had good flames in the firebox, within 10 minutes a good fully engaged fire, turned the air down to about 1/8. Five minutes later, lots and lots of flames, stove top temp 150, but double wall flue 150. Engaged cat, closed air completely, within a few minutes down to cat flames and stovetop 300, flue 170. 6:30 or so now, stovetop 350, beautiful, very active fire in the firebox, both cat and secondary burn (sometimes both at once, sometimes jumps between the two) lots of flames, air completely closed. Room is 69 and climbing, rest of the home is heating up. Have over 1400 square feet each floor, three stories, though top floor is under steep roof, with huge shed dormer (20 feet long), so much less area to heat on the third floor. Point being, there are a lot of cubic feet of cold air for the stove to heat initially when I start at 50, so the first floor temps are not rising with a very small fire, as much as they would had the fire been burning in a warm home....

I'm impressed, though, with enough coals after 12 hours to light right up, even after a very small fire intended to just establish a coal bed....

Awesome story. Loving mine too. Woke up this a.m. after 8 hours. Raked the ash to find hot coals. Added a 2x4 and 2 small rounds and in 4 minutes had flames going with door shut, air vent all the way open. Just added a big half round and ran wide open for 20 minutes to establish a good burn and now just shut the air down almost all the way. Stove top is 400 degrees. Toasty warm in house.

Sounds like the PH is doing a great job for you. Doesn't even sound like you need to push it to get those house temps up, you must have pretty good insulation?

Was away from home for a few weeks, Came home to 40 degrees, wet, strong wind blowing from the North over the lake. House 50 degrees, about noon.

Unpacked, installed new inconal screen on my Woodstock Progress Hybrid, lit a fire about 5 PM. Before lighting the fire, noticed the draft was really something in the flue...couldn't miss the sound.

Used a homemade firestarter, some dry, small dimension unsplit dogwood, ditto sugar maple.
Loaded the stove maybe 1/6 full....not very much wood. Intention to burn down to just coals, then load about 1/2 with some splits and go to bed....very tired after two days with no sleep, and a long drive.

Life happens, tied up with family stuff til about 11 PM, house 68 degrees. Noted the wood was in coals, but large coals, still could see the original shape of the wood. So decided to let the fire burn down to less coals before reloading, so I'd be loading on a smaller bed of coals and get a slower burning fire for the night. Sat down with a book, and next thing I knew it was 4:45 AM, stove and double wall flue temps both about 100, stove still good and warm to the touch and radiating heat, room temp down to 63.

Opened the bypass and air, raked the ashes away from the front, noted the only coals were about 2 cups of very small coals in the back of the stove, Everything else powder white ash. Raked the few coals to the front, ash to the front as well, loaded a flat piece of very dry maple, cut off the outside of a log, 5" on bark side, but only about 2 inches deep, on top of the coals, then about 5 2" diameter unsplit dogwood in the back of the firebox, then a bunch of 1 inch dogwood branches...for maybe a 1/3 fill of the firebox. Shut the door and walked away. In well under 5 minutes had good flames in the firebox, within 10 minutes a good fully engaged fire, turned the air down to about 1/8. Five minutes later, lots and lots of flames, stove top temp 150, but double wall flue 150. Engaged cat, closed air completely, within a few minutes down to cat flames and stovetop 300, flue 170. 6:30 or so now, stovetop 350, beautiful, very active fire in the firebox, both cat and secondary burn (sometimes both at once, sometimes jumps between the two) lots of flames, air completely closed. Room is 69 and climbing, rest of the home is heating up. Have over 1400 square feet each floor, three stories, though top floor is under steep roof, with huge shed dormer (20 feet long), so much less area to heat on the third floor. Point being, there are a lot of cubic feet of cold air for the stove to heat initially when I start at 50, so the first floor temps are not rising with a very small fire, as much as they would had the fire been burning in a warm home....

I'm impressed, though, with enough coals after 12 hours to light right up, even after a very small fire intended to just establish a coal bed....

how do you like the new screen?

Curious, you were back from a long drive and away for weeks and were tired. Were baby sitting the stove and ended up reading for 5 hours!! then stayed up longer with the stove after reload!! Wow if i was really tired i would have gone to bed after starting a fire and just used more blankets or slept on the couch infront of stove !!

Well, I'll chime in to say that the new screen is great. It is a solid piece that goes across the firebox side of the exhaust port. It will be WAY easier to clean now since the whole thing is visible and reachable from inside the firebox. Taking it on/off should be easy since it is held on with 3 pins, but I doubt there will be a good reason to remove it very often.

The only small downside, is that the center pin that holds the screen hangs down a bit and can be seen while viewing the fire from a seated position. Really, not a big deal at all.

Reactions: rideau
Sounds like the PH is doing a great job for you. Doesn't even sound like you need to push it to get those house temps up, you must have pretty good insulation?

I built the home in 1975, just before the advent of sophistocated papers for wrapping the house, etc., just before inert gases were put in the windows. Did the best I could for the time,. The house is built of 2x6 Doug Fir with as much Fiberglass as will fit in that space..?R19 maybe? I don't remember. The house has no drafts, which helps a lot, but probably isn't quite as tight as with tyvek (is Tyvek correct?); but it is pretty good. Have Pella windows. But tons of them. Lots of glass...a trade off...great view of the woods vs. heat exchange...Have the dryer vented to a wet trap in the basement, so no hole in the outside wall for it. Only vent to the outside is the kitchen oven. Full 8 foot height basement, insulation under the cement floor but none on the cement block walls. All but top foot underground. Only 4 small windows. Bilko doors to the ourside on either end, with interior wood doors at the bottom. No entry from basement to house. Sub panels on each floor from main electric panel in basement. Basement stays above freezing, and a pretty constant temperature all year. Warms the home in the winter, cools it in the summer...so mitigates the effect of the outside temps. Without heat, my house never gets below about 40 on the first floor, regardless of the temp outside (15 below, 40 or better in here if I'm away); this past summer we had what felt like 90 solid days of 90 plus temps. I kept the windows closed, as well aseast and west facing curtains of windows that were not shaded by trees ..house never went above 72. So, in short, the house stays pretty comfortable, and is pretty tight, well insulated for when it was built.

Like it, like it, like it. Had an exciting time installing it, but it's in, and isn't going anywhere. Vast improvement. And should be very easy to brush off while in place. Don't imagine it will need to be removed for cleaning very often...maybe one a year max. Which is good, cause it would have to be really cold to remove and replace it. Have had a fire going since about 5 yesterday, and the screen is just fine. It is designed with a very solid retainer that is attached to the top front edge of the secondary burn plate; that retianer has three L-shaped pieces of steel welded on, whih hand down in the opening between the secondary plate and the front of the stove. the screen is one piece, very solid, slightly bigger mesh tan the original, and has three washers around three evenly spaced holes in the middle of the screen. Those holes slip over the L-shape pieces. There are cotter pins, with about 3/4 inch loops on the end that are used as handles, which one pushes through holesin the L-bolts, near the tip of the bolt.
The only downside: the screen and cotter pins are clearly visable in thenice curved viewing area at the top of the viewing window. I'm not really noticing it now, in a fairly decently bright room in the daytime, but I really noticed it last night. A necessary trade off. Would much rather see the screen there (I'm sure after a while one doesn't even notice it), than either deal with the old screen, which was designed to tuck above the viewing window, or have the window cut straight across the top. :)

Curious, you were back from a long drive and away for weeks and were tired. Were baby sitting the stove and ended up reading for 5 hours!! then stayed up longer with the stove after reload!! Wow if i was really tired i would have gone to bed after starting a fire and just used more blankets or slept on the couch infront of stove !!

I'm not going to bother rereading my post, but I guess I must have just skipped mentioning a few hours. I didn't babysit the stove at all. While it did its thing, I unpacked, cooked (on the stove, in part), took care of, fed, bathed and put to bed a profoundly handicapped brother for whom I care, walked the dog out to the gate and back a couple of times (2/5 mile round trip).touched base with family in Ottawa, NYC, and HI (storms, hurricanes and tsunamis to worry about), etc...finally sat down at about 11 to read and kill a half hour or so while I waited for coals to burn down...and promptly fell asleep....

Well, I'll chime in to say that the new screen is great. It is a solid piece that goes across the firebox side of the exhaust port. It will be WAY easier to clean now since the whole thing is visible and reachable from inside the firebox. Taking it on/off should be easy since it is held on with 3 pins, but I doubt there will be a good reason to remove it very often.

The only small downside, is that the center pin that holds the screen hangs down a bit and can be seen while viewing the fire from a seated position. Really, not a big deal at all.

We were making same obsevations at the same time. I can see all the cotter pins and I do believe the screen itself, but I'm not looking closer...

does anyone have pictures?

Don't feel like dealing with it right now...am so computer challenged its a joke, especially for a parent who bought the kids PC Jr when it came out and they were about 4....and whose eldest son owns the responsibility for all aspects of sound for kinect for winows....If either of my sons, or my daughter, were here, you'd have the photos already. Thought about taking some shots earlier, but knew I didn't want to be bothered figuring out the posting yet again. Will try to do so later this evening.

OK I may have misread what you said? But from the sound of it i though you were tired got home and then sat down to read a book for 5 hours. No big deal i just was confused.

Reactions: rideau
...took care of, fed, bathed and put to bed a profoundly handicapped brother for whom I care, walked the dog out to the gate and back a couple of times (2/5 mile round trip)....

Kudos rideau. A sort of a kindred spirit here (in my case, son and dog, respectively, and I am building my own place as well). Your time in front of the fire is well deserved.

As an aside, look at computer "illiteracy" as a gift. Given time to figure out the latest slew of gadgets, vs a couple hours out on the wood pile (followed by a couple hours in front of the stove) I choose the latter, when I can. Unplugged....

Reactions: ailanthus
Kudos rideau. A sort of a kindred spirit here (in my case, son and dog, respectively, and I am building my own place as well). Your time in front of the fire is well deserved.

As an aside, look at computer "illiteracy" as a gift. Given time to figure out the latest slew of gadgets, vs a couple hours out on the wood pile (followed by a couple hours in front of the stove) I choose the latter, when I can. Unplugged....
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.