Unique but could it serve a purpose?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thedismisser

Jul 21, 2014
Unity NH
image.jpg Surfing the web and found this....
Be a pain to clean but if you circulated air through it would you get more heat ?
It isn't practical in any way but thought I would start a discussion on it ......

Looks like someone had dozens of oval to round transition pieces left over and put them to use.

Reactions: Thedismisser
He heats in mysterious ways.

interesting in a "steampunk" sort of way. hate the install, but that's not necessarily the stove's fault.

I wonder how much heat is scrubbed out of the exhaust stream (what im really wondering is how much crap is built up in that long horizontal pipe up top.)

Reactions: Thedismisser
View attachment 136133 Surfing the web and found this....
Be a pain to clean but if you circulated air through it would you get more heat ?
It isn't practical in any way but thought I would start a discussion on it ......
Is this a church? And where?

No clue I was searching the web and saw this crazy contraption . The guy is an artist and believes this is functional art !
I believe hazard unless you pressure wash it and only use good dry hardwood ....

I suspect its functional to a point, adding surface area in the exhaust stream is an old idea as is "thermal mass" look up "Russian fireplaces" they had some interesting methods to store heat and radiate well after the fire has died out.

I suspect its functional to a point, adding surface area in the exhaust stream is an old idea as is "thermal mass" look up "Russian fireplaces" they had some interesting methods to store heat and radiate well after the fire has died out.
Yes but I must emphasize on hazard because of the build up that would result in the design ...like stoveguy2esw said .... " by the time the gasses reach the main pipe there isn't any heat to burn off the creosote .."
Fire hazard I believe....

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Yes but I must emphasize on hazard because of the build up that would result in the design ...like stoveguy2esw said .... " by the time the gasses reach the main pipe there isn't any heat to burn off the creosote .."
Fire hazard I believe....

yeah, you're right note this isn't a reburn stove, so its wasting a lot of heat up the flue as well as a bunch of unburned fuel. the long horizontal allows for a lot of collection of this fuel and with the "heat sink" the guy built into the top of the stove the stack gasses will cool faster than normal, making a fue fire a distinct possibility should the stove be left open long enough to raise the stack temps to a point where ignition could happen. looking back at the picture its hard to see if the pipe has been compromised due to the lighting I think.

that said I think the look is kinda kool, but i'd be much happier with a straight up through the roof install with an insulated pipe rather than a up and over they have installed. be a shame to lose all that old woodwork , and more a shame to lose the church to fire in any sense

No clue I was searching the web and saw this crazy contraption . The guy is an artist and believes this is functional art !
I believe hazard unless you pressure wash it and only use good dry hardwood ....
Well, your from Unity.... My descendants built the church on Cotton Mtn if your familiar with the area. The picture you posted isn't the church but I know many of them started with wood stoves and still have them in place today. the emblem to the top of the pic looks German/Scandanavian to me, but I wouldn't know. interesting pic just the same, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
Well, your from Unity.... My descendants built the church on Cotton Mtn if your familiar with the area. The picture you posted isn't the church but I know many of them started with wood stoves and still have them in place today. the emblem to the top of the pic looks German/Scandanavian to me, but I wouldn't know. interesting pic just the same, thanks for sharing!
This stove obviously isn't original to the church .... It's art and if
It's even functional is questionable.
An artist that isn't as old as the church built this but it doesn't say if it is actually in working order or just standing art . I'm assuming standing art because the work involved to keep this thing clean would be substantial.
Burn pine in your stove and see what happens ,I'm quite sure it will have the same results as burning seasoned hard wood in this stove ...... FIRE ......

The freshly cut wood under the pew won't result in much creosote.

This stove obviously isn't original to the church .... It's art and if
It's even functional is questionable.
An artist that isn't as old as the church built this but it doesn't say if it is actually in working order or just standing art . I'm assuming standing art because the work involved to keep this thing clean would be substantial.
Burn pine in your stove and see what happens ,I'm quite sure it will have the same results as burning seasoned hard wood in this stove ...... FIRE ......

I burn PINE without the issue you claim being a factor. DRY pine in a well managed burn is a safe fuel. You can burn oak improperly too.

Reactions: webby3650
I burn PINE without the issue you claim being a factor. DRY pine in a well managed burn is a safe fuel. You can burn oak improperly too.
I like burning Pine when I'm able to get some. Not much around here. Nothing wrong with it at all if its seasoned.

Those that burn pine must be cleaning all the time. That pitch creates a lot of soot. That pitch doesn't dry out ... I own a log home and it still has spots that the pitch gets soft on hot summer days.
If you take a little pitch take your lighter it will melt a d then burn just like a candle . But it puts off a lot of soot.
I also only have white pine around my house . Don't know if that makes a difference.

Those that burn pine must be cleaning all the time. That pitch creates a lot of soot. That pitch doesn't dry out ... I own a log home and it still has spots that the pitch gets soft on hot summer days.
If you take a little pitch take your lighter it will melt a d then burn just like a candle . But it puts off a lot of soot.
I also only have white pine around my house . Don't know if that makes a difference.
No I don't spend my time cleaning. Many many western states do not have hardwood available. Burning pitch with a lighter is not a controlled burn .

Those that burn pine must be cleaning all the time. That pitch creates a lot of soot
Old wives tale. Properly seasoned pine has no more issues than any other properly seasoned fuel. Think of the folks north of the border or out west that don't have much choice.

Doug fir is full of oils and can have large pitch pockets. We have never seen excess creosote when burning dry doug fir. Actually it's my preferred local wood for burning when I don't have hardwood. Creosote accumulates because of too cool flue gases. Burn poorly seasoned wood, be it pine or oak, and you will be needing to clean the flue more frequently.

Pine is fine . . . at least here in Unity . . . Maine. Been burning a fair amount of eastern white in the shoulder season . . . as long as it is seasoned it's no better or worse than seasoned hardwood.

WOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.