Unique Maple

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rottiman

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2009
Ontario Canada
took this 26" maple down due to storm damage. She was @ the end of her useful life anyway. Awesome pattern, really neat with the sunlight hitting it.

Attachments

• Firewood Ramblings 010 (Custom).jpg
    Firewood Ramblings 010 (Custom).jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 386
rottiman said:
took this 26" maple down due to storm damage. She was @ the end of her useful life anyway. Awesome pattern, really neat with the sunlight hitting it.

Spalted Maple.

zap

A few years ago I seen Maple with that coloration/patterns being sold as Ambrosia Maple in a few woodturning supply catalogs.

zapny said:
rottiman said:

Spalted Maple.

zap
Zap, what do they call trees that have an enlarged section of trunk in a normally straight section of trunk, best way to describe would be that it looks like a large tumor on a normal section?

rottiman said:
zapny said:
rottiman said:

Spalted Maple.

zap
Zap, what do they call trees that have an enlarged section of trunk in a normally straight section of trunk, best way to describe would be that it looks like a large tumor on a normal section?

That's a Burl.

Thistle said:
rottiman said:
zapny said:
rottiman said:

Spalted Maple.

zap

That's a Burl.

+1

zap

Strange thing about this tree was that the patterning was only up the first 2 feet or so off the stump. Rest of tree was solid and clean. Picture isn't that great. The pattern really jumps out at you in person.

Wow, you should give/sell that to a woodturner! They make beautiful stuff out of wood like that.

My wife would shoot me if I tried to burn something like that. lol Last spring she found a stump from a maple I cut and begged me to cut a slice off so she could have some of that beautiful wood. But then, she also found a small limb from a cherry that had this beautiful red moss. She carried that thing all the way to the house and it now lays in her flower garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.