University Pellet Heating System

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hot_h20

Oct 30, 2009
NH
Thought you guys would find this interesting:

Franklin Pierce University Installs New Wood Pellet Boilers on Rindge Campus

Oct. 6, 2009

Rindge, NH - Franklin Pierce University announced today that installation of the school’s new wood pellet thermal heating systems has begun, bringing the University another step closer to establishing itself as one of the first educational institutions to heat its buildings with clean burning wood pellets. The fully integrated alternative heating system provided by International WoodFuels (www.iwoodfuels.com) of Portland, Maine, will reduce the University’s annual fuel costs, while decreasing the school’s yearly consumption of fossil fuels by approximately 50,000 gallons of heating oil and 109,000 gallons of propane, which is a win-win for the educational community and the environment.

“We are very pleased to see the installation of the wood pellet heating systems at both the West Side Residence Halls and the North Field Activity Center,” said Dr. James Birge, President of Franklin Pierce University. “This is a clear and highly visible example of the University’s commitment to continuing our efforts to become more green and sustainable. Having this initiative move forward is a testament to the good work being done by the Sustainability Council at Franklin Pierce.”

University Vice President and Athletic Director Bruce Kirsh said that the University will move forward with converting other campus buildings to more-efficient and environmentally-friendly heating sources as capital budgets and technology permits.

The state-of-the-art biomass thermal heating units, which are completely self contained in garage sized housing structures, will fulfill goals set forth by the University’s Commitment to Climate Neutrality Initiative by cutting annual carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions by approximately 1100 metric tons, or 13 percent of the school’s current CO2 output. The WoodFuels system is completely automated and is monitored in real time by WoodFuels technicians and Franklin Pierce maintenance staff, allowing for maximum efficiency during operation. Unique to the WoodFuels program, the University is not required to pre-buy pellets, but rather pays monthly for the BTU’s that the system consumes, and the company delivers locally sourced pellet fuel as needed.

Both the thermal heating units and storage silos are currently in place and are being attached to the buildings existing piping and heating loops. The systems will be operational beginning November 2009.

http://beta.franklinpierce.edu/about/news/pr_woodpelletinstall.htm

The High School my kids (well, kid now) go to installed a biomass furnace a few years ago (Merrimack Valley HS in Penacook, NH)...not sure what they actually burn in there. I think it's mostly wood chips, but come to think of it, they might be burning pellets. I think I remember seeing a silo in the back. Maybe they burn both...whatever is more available and cheaper at the time...

hope their system can burn those high ash pellets from MWP.

I wonder if they considered how much money they will be saving in heat burning pellets compared to an oil/propane heater. I'm all for folks burning biomass instead of fossil fuels, I would love to know the projected return on investment on this project.

Franks that's a great point! Seems like these types of decisions needs to be evaluated over the long term (life of the equipment), which is tricky given the volatility of fossil fuels. This is the best analysis I've seen yet where they actually are assessing things after the fact.

http://www.maine.gov/education/const/ae001.pdf

Here's a 44 page study on fossil fuel vs. biomass fuel they did for our school district before they went with the HS project. Lots of reading for those that have a bit of time.

http://www.nhrcd.net/CommunityScaleBiomass/merv-final fuel study9-24-08.pdf

rats! for some reason it won't accept the entire hyperlink. Just cut and paste the entire link into the address bar and you'll get there

The cost savigs is something that I think will take time to fully analyze, but the more places that go to biomass then obviously more data will become available.

Here's another blurb regarding the new US Forest Service building for the White Mountains:

Biomass Energy System
 A 1 million BTU wood pellet gasification Kob boiler provides 90% combustion efficiency,
produces no harmful emissions, and supplies heat for the main building and heated warehouse.
It works by essentially “baking” the pellets in a low‐oxygen environment, producing a flammable
gas derived from the hydrocarbon content of the pellet. This gas is moved into another chamber
where oxygen is introduced and the gas completely combusted. The separation of the ash
content of the pellet from the turbulent combustion of the gas results in a much cleaner flue
gas. The boiler also uses a three‐pass heat exchanger, which means the water in the heating
loop passes over the hot flue gases three times before either exit the boiler. A typical
residential boiler is only one pass.
 A 1 million BTU propane backup boiler can heat the office building in case of main system
failure.
 Electrical generation is accomplished through a gasification process using the biomass wood
pellets to fire a diesel combustion engine that runs a 125KW electrical generator. The generator
will reduce the grid electricity provided to the complex (lower electric bill) and provide
emergency power in the event of a grid failure. The genset is also equipped with a liquid‐toliquid
heat exchanger to pull waste heat from the engine and use it to augment the pellet boiler
and assist with space heating needs at the site thus making it a true combined heat and power
system.
 All large motors and pumps are controlled by variable frequency drives, which allow them to
ramp up and down according to demand – reducing energy consumption.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/white_mountain/what_makes_wmnfhq_green.pdf

Wonder how the composting toilets are working out?

I do alot of hiking in the Whites and have spent many nights in the shelters, therefore, by that, I also have used their composting toilets quite often and I gotta say, they work quite well. I never smell them, even on the warmest, muggiest nights and the shelter caretakers stay on top of the composting job. I'm not sure what the AMC "huts" use...probably depends on which one it is. I never use the infernal "huts"...glorified hotels for the big city rich folks...Who'd want to pay $90 a night to stay in a dormitory?!?

Timbo, the toilets I am referring to are at the new headquarters in Campton, NH.

Ah. Thanks...i thought you were referring to the toilets at the huts and shelters...

I think this is great . Any thing to curb oil dependency gets my vote .

I hear ya Excell...I'm on a personal crusade (within my budget) to wean myself off the oil nipple.

timbo said:
I hear ya Excell...I'm on a personal crusade (within my budget) to wean myself off the oil nipple.

My wife wants a Ford Escape ,maybe I will find her a Hybrid .I love the idea of electric cars .

Franks said:
I wonder if they considered how much money they will be saving in heat burning pellets compared to an oil/propane heater. I'm all for folks burning biomass instead of fossil fuels, I would love to know the projected return on investment on this project.

I'm sure it will take a while to see a profit on this move, but based on the original post I don't think that ROI was their only goal here. They stated that they have a goal to become more carbon neutral. Biomass heat helps them get closer to that goal. I applaud them for making a decision to move towards a greener heating system. Additional benefits to this move are that they will be buying thier pellets/chips from a North American source, and they are lessening our dependency on foriegn oil.

carbon aside, I say it is great to employ local people from nearby states rather than foreign or distant people!

Status
Not open for further replies.