Unloading the stove from the truck?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dec 9, 2021
New Hampshire
I finally pulled the trigger on a new stove. I just put a payment down for a Pacific Energy Summit and will be picking it up on Thursday.

My question is, how the heck do I get a 440 lb stove out of my truck onto the ground?

After that, I'm hoping that myself and 3 other men of moderate strength can maneuver it into position.

Any advice is appreciated, including what doesn't work!

Reactions: MR. GLO
Take off anything you can easily remove. The door, ash lip, ashpan, the top, flue collar. I don't have your stove so not sure what comes off easily? but everything helps. After that a few strong guys.

I slid my stove down a set of OSHA 10' scaffold planks. My stove is about the same weight and I had to put some 6x6'' blocks under it to clear the legs. The wood blocks also gave a little friction resistance on sliding slowly. I also stacked blocks to support the center of the planks at 5'.

Reactions: cron
I also backed up close enough to get my planks just inside the front door. Did all this solo .....

Reactions: wjohn and cron
I use either a forklift or my stove cart. 😂 I know very helpful.

If you have a few guys and strip everything off that you can they are usually not to bad to lift down. But ramps can definitely make a dig difference as well.

Reactions: all night moe
I slid my stove down a set of OSHA 10' scaffold planks. My stove is about the same weight and I had to put some 6x6'' blocks under it to clear the legs. The wood blocks also gave a little friction resistance on sliding slowly. I also stacked blocks to support the center of the planks at 5'.
Nice! I like this idea. Did you need to remove the tailgate from your truck?

Nice! I like this idea. Did you need to remove the tailgate from your truck?
I've done it both ways. Have moved this stove a bunch of times before it reached it's final location. Last few times I found it easier to remove the gate and lay a standard 2x6 across the bumper, making the planks level with the bed.

Reactions: cron
You can rent an engine hoist, unless you have tall truck it should be tall enough to do what you need.

I had to unload a 6’ tool box that 6 men loaded (550#), basically by myself from my mini van. I just bought an engine hoist. 220$ is cheaper than my ER copayment. I’m not sure it could lift a stove out of the back of a truck bed. But it’s a thought.

We had two ramps, a manual chain hoist, two dollies, and controllably rolled it down the ramps.
The one thing to pay (careful) attention to is the slope of the ramps and the center of gravity of the stove on the pallet on the dollies. You don't want to tip it over. Of course attaching the hoist higher on the stove would help that (though you don't want the bottom to roll down while the top stays in the hoist) either, but sometimes that's (hoist midway up) not possible given the strength of the packaging vs weight of the stove.

Me and the seller (whose equipment we used), both in our early 40s (I think) did this together.

I moved my Tarm Solo 40 with my backhoe. We pulled it out of bulkhead with the backhoe, lifted it into a Ford Ranger and then lifted it out with the backhoe.

I slid my small 300-lb. insert down two long boards out the back of my Escape myself. Put it on a tarp to drag into garage.

Removed door and over 60 lb. bricks and moved it in the house on a hand truck I bought at Lowes.

How far up in NH are you?

I raced 300# motorcycles for many years and I weigh less than 200#. I use two ramps to load the bike. I walk up one ramp and power the bike up the other. Point of this is that the tailgate and ramps can handle over 450# no problem. The ramps are 2x10 lumber from home depot and the little end brackets that hang on the tailgate are from harbor freight.

By myself, I slid the boxed and crated princess (450#) from the F350 bed to the ground. Easy peasy. Don't lift it, just slide it and be sure that your ramps don't slide off of the tailgate. Once on the ground you can get it onto a furniture dolly for rolling.

I've never had the bricks out. That seems excessive. You aren't lifting it, your moving it.

2x6 or 2x8 planks. I tie them on to safety, put stove on back or side, where there are no shields and “walk” it down to a 4 wheel furniture dolly. Same as steps. Into basements, planks on stairs, come-along at top on 4x4 across doorway. Winch up or down. Do them alone all the time.

My Kitchen Queen pushing 1000# over soft ground, up a ramp into my house was a challenge. Down-jack onto tile floor carefully! I weigh 160.

When you move steam engine parts the size of a stove that are solid iron instead of hollow, like a stove you appreciate lightweight stoves! That was my hobby before stoves. Oof. I do have a JD 400 backhoe in case I can’t move something for machining, but usually end up doing it the hard way instead of fixing a leaky hydraulic line or jump starting a machine. Just keep it on wheels on flat hard surfaces.

Last edited:
I agree with ramps. Also I use a piece of that plastic blue board underneath. I have used it not only for stoves but to remove big radiators from the house. Slides very well.

Use a utility trailer and a dolly. Ratchet strap the stove to the dolly. Just did this a few months ago and was able to get the stove inside by myself.

If you can get the truck backed up close enough to a porch, deck, door, whatever to do it that way then that's what I'd recommend, as well. Don't get it down from the truck only to have to get it back up again into the house. I was able to back my truck right up to my back door, use a couple of short beefy planks to span between the bed and my door threshold, and slide my 215 lb. stove right into my house by myself. Much smaller than what you're dealing with but with a couple of people for help a bigger stove would be easy. I'm scrawny, too.

I rented a Uhaul trailer. Then took it off the trailer by wheeling it down the gate. Removed weight off it and then 2 of us were able to manhandled it up the stairs using beer and promises of pizza for lubrication.

Four persons can unload the stove by lifting it off and setting it down. Or you could drop/unlink the tailgate and put ramps up to the bed. That is the way we unloaded the T6. It slid down the ramps easily with 2 people on a side guiding it. Once on the ground, blanket it for protection and then ratchet strap it to a good appliance dolly with pneumatic tires. Once it has wheels on it, it will be much easier to move.

Friend dropped his tailgate when he helped me get a 600-lb. smoker home. Put two boards on the bed. He stood between the boards and wanted me to start the smoker towards him. It is on wheels. I said I wouldn't do that. Would have flattened him.

• Wow
Reactions: begreen
Friend dropped his tailgate when he helped me get a 600-lb. smoker home. Put two boards on the bed. He stood between the boards and wanted me to start the smoker towards him. It is on wheels. I said I wouldn't do that. Would have flattened him.
Yes, we stood to the sides of the ramp boards. The friction of the palette on the ramp boards helped make it manageable in spite of the 600# stove weight.

Yes. This is Pitt's & Spitt's U2436. On wheels. Oncee it starts on the boards, it's down on the driveway.

Get going real fast in reverse and then slam on the brakes.

Side note: Nobody asks me to help them move anymore...
You can only do that with a Fisher.
Indestructible tanks.

Literally rolled one down a hill strapped to a hand cart. Big yard down hill went to zig zag down hill and rolled sideways with a flop flip flop. Didn’t even break bricks loose.