unmounted hearth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

turboxb9s

Apr 17, 2008
nashua Nh
I'm looking to install a wood stove with 6" legs and I'd like to install it on a platform that I don't want to bolt to my laminate floor. Is this safely possible and do I need to do anything differently besides the sheet metal and durarock?

Will the platform be placed up against a wall? I built one for my "soon to be installed" stove, it sits on a tile floor and will be bolted to the wall for stability.

aussieblake

What stove and what does it require for a hearth in the manual? Personally I'd feel better having the hearth firmly anchored. Stuff happens.

I haven't actually aquired a stove yet. I know I'd like to get one that has legs about 6" high. It will be placed in the corner of my living room. I'll have durarock propperly mounted along each wall. I'd like to have a platform that isn't fixed to the floor so that when I eventually convert to gas heat I can remove it if I want without having to repair the floor below. Thanks for the responses so far.

There are hearth pads mode for corners. They ain't cheap, but quickest easiest solution. Or build your own.
Its not a must to have it fixed to the floor. IMO, with a 500 or so pound stove on top of it, it ain't going to move much.

Who cares if the hearth is bolted to the floor. The stove isn't bolted to the hearth is it? Only in mobile home.

My hertiage at nearly 500 lbs just sits there with gravity.

turboxb9s said:
I haven't actually aquired a stove yet. I know I'd like to get one that has legs about 6" high. It will be placed in the corner of my living room. I'll have durarock propperly mounted along each wall. I'd like to have a platform that isn't fixed to the floor so that when I eventually convert to gas heat I can remove it if I want without having to repair the floor below. Thanks for the responses so far.

The hearth construction will depend on the stove. Some stoves have minimal hearth requirements. A few only require a sheet of metal or non-combustible barrier. Other's require much better heat shielding. Leg height has less to do with this than bottom heat shielding. Often an ashpan can help as a heat shield.

The same goes for wall protection. Often there is no need to put up wall protection for a stove unless it's going to be placed close to a wall and the protection is required to reduce the particular stove's wall clearance requirements. Be sure to check the stove clearance table for corner clearances specifically.

turboxb9s said:
do I need to do anything differently besides the sheet metal and durarock?

You don't even need sheet metal or durarock. These materials are among the many allowed to construct your hearth so that it meets the manufacturers requirements. My hearth consists of durock, steel studs which create a dead air space, and tile for prettiness. The hearthstone brand stoves have some tough hearth requirements.

The stove manual will list required clearances to combustibles on for the rear and sides. This clearance can be to wood paneling. No requirement to add any fireproof material to the walls if you meet clearance requirements.

Highbeam said:
Who cares if the hearth is bolted to the floor. The stove isn't bolted to the hearth is it? Only in mobile home.

My hertiage at nearly 500 lbs just sits there with gravity.

For us, earthquakes. The last big earthquake we had moved the earth back and forth about I would guess 2-3" with an oscillation of about 2 per second. I saw heavy objects move one way while the lighter stuff on top went the opposite way. Our 265 lb. Jotul F3CB moved about an inch. I was glad the stove wasn't burning and that it only moved a little. There is no predicting this kind of thing as to when or how large the next one will be. So I'm glad our hearth is firmly anchored even with a 560+ lb stove on top.

turboxb9s said:
... when I eventually convert to gas heat ...
Interesting to see someone who is moving in the opposite direction of most Hearth.com readers. (I'm sure he has good reason.) To reach for a weak laugh: "Er, Turbo...have you noticed the wood-heat craze that has been sweeping the nation?"
So, anyway...why not keep the stove after you get the gas heat? It will increase the home's resale value, if nothing else.
Just my opinion.

Thank you everyone who replied. I'm new to the wood stove craze and this site is awesome for information like this. I don't live in an area comon to earth quakes so that isn't a concern but a good point for whomever does. as for the resale value. I'm not so sure about that. I guess it depends on how nice of a woodstove is taking up a corner in the living room. With natural gas heat I wouldn't think a wood stove would be as much of a plus.

Unless you bolt your stove to the hearth pad, bolting the hearth pad to the floor is of little value. That's what I was trying to say.

Good point and on my honey-do list for the new stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.