unpressurized storage volume/overflow/ stratification height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pybyr

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2008
Adamant, VT 05640
OK, as someone who wanted to be an engineer, but struggled too much at math... I invite help...

I'm going to use an unpressurized storage of 6 foot x 6 foot horizontal dimensions, 5 feet deep (roughly 1350 gallons).

I will need to have, and will include, a top outlet to let water out as it expands and overflows as it is heated

but..

what is the highest level I can count on as the upper water level... assuming a temperature swing of 100 F to 200 F- and after the water expands, overflows, cools, and then contracts (after having overflowed) and returns to a lower height.

I need to figure this out for purposes of knowing the vertical height of my top inlet/outlet to the plat HX

thanks, all

Actually it's the thermal expansion of the water in the ocean that will cause levels to rise, more so than ice cap melt as some suggest. A few degrees of global warming will take it's toll on coastlines.

Here is a link that may help www.lsbu.ac.uk/water/anmlies.html

Google thermal expansion of water to see plenty of sites.

hr

I use 5% as rule of thumb, includes a safety factor. If capacity is 1350 gal, fil to 1275 gal.

Status
Not open for further replies.