Unusual question re BioBricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cath

Feeling the Heat
Jul 31, 2007
To BioPellet or anyone else who has experience with BioBricks, about how many does it take to make a fire that might last 3 or 4 hours?

I got the bright idea that I'd like to do something different as a gift basket for our church fair and thought it might be a good chance to get South Shore Wood Pellets' name out there. I envisioned putting a package of fatwood and a package of those oversized matches that double as starters to make it look a little more interesting. Not to mention to give a better idea of what the bricks are since it's not self-explanatory for anyone unfamiliar with them.

However, the 38 Lb "20 pack" is way too heavy to put in any sort of decorative basket. Even half a pack, or 10 bricks would probably be too heavy unless I put it in one of those canvas wood carriers but that wouldn't look all that pretty.

I've seen Ebayers selling sample packs with as few as 8 bricks, would that be enough to get a good fire going? Even that might be too heavy at about 16 Lbs. What's the smallest amount I could put in any sort of basket or container and have it be worth while?

Depending upon how small I can go I was thinking of adding some cocoa or, on the other end of the spectrum, perhaps a nice bottle of wine.

I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions.
~Cath

Good question Cath. I will give it a little bump.

*****BeGreen to the front lobby please. BeGreen to the front lobby.*****

This may also be a good discussion for "how many for a 3 hr burn" "how many for an over night burn"

I have burned them in my Hampton. Three bricks to start the fire, 15-20 minutes later after a good fire is going I add seven more, one in the middle of the coals and a wall of six around the coals. Although I've never really kept a close eye on the burn times, I would guess this lasts about 4-5 hours total. 20 lbs. @ 2 lbs per brick. For a gift basket though...........

Nice thought, but I don't think I'd give the BioBricks or pressed logs as a present. They need to be used with some degree of experience with the stove. And by design BioBricks work best en masse. A few wouldn't be very meaningful.

How about giving a box of Super Cedar Fire Starters or some fatwood sticks instead? They weigh a lot less. And you could package them with a nice set of long matches.

Jags,
Thanks for the bump.

Anton,
I like the idea of using a couple of bricks and including a gift certificate but I got them at a warehouse, I don't think I can get a gift certificate.

If my printer was working I could put together some sort of an IOU.
~Cath

Cath said:
To BioPellet or anyone else who has experience with BioBricks, about how many does it take to make a fire that might last 3 or 4 hours?

I got the bright idea that I'd like to do something different as a gift basket for our church fair and thought it might be a good chance to get South Shore Wood Pellets' name out there. I envisioned putting a package of fatwood and a package of those oversized matches that double as starters to make it look a little more interesting. Not to mention to give a better idea of what the bricks are since it's not self-explanatory for anyone unfamiliar with them.

However, the 38 Lb "20 pack" is way too heavy to put in any sort of decorative basket. Even half a pack, or 10 bricks would probably be too heavy unless I put it in one of those canvas wood carriers but that wouldn't look all that pretty.

I've seen Ebayers selling sample packs with as few as 8 bricks, would that be enough to get a good fire going? Even that might be too heavy at about 16 Lbs. What's the smallest amount I could put in any sort of basket or container and have it be worth while?

Depending upon how small I can go I was thinking of adding some cocoa or, on the other end of the spectrum, perhaps a nice bottle of wine.

I'd appreciate any feedback or suggestions.
~Cath

Cath,

20 bricks work well for 12 hours in my Regency - so 10 works well for 6 hours. Minimum 4 bricks though - this makes enough fire to enjoy the Male/Female chemistry, or otherwise mix and match, for a concentration of 2 hours of fire pleasure........ spread the love

Status
Not open for further replies.