up and runnin

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman1

Feb 10, 2009
Jersey Shore
Greetings all
got the install done about 10 days now(pics),furnace has not kicked on since. 22outside and its a balmy 77 in the dining room
stove is on the other side of the house.
scrounged a bunch of wood in that time and took a huge white oak down from the side of the house (see pics). gonna burn good next year.
got two nice bites across both fore arms(twins-lol) stuffin in a load the other day.
still learning and trying to get it right.
this site has been great with all the info, dont think i have had a question yet that you all have not already posted about.
gotta thank ya for that.
pics are of my buddy mike up in the big oak and a little of the the stuff i got out of the yard before i started scoungin
took bout half an hour to load these kinda new at it.
it has been a fun time so far for the wife, so far we have had beetles ,silverfish and a bad case of the ants when the wood i brought in
got warm :)

Attachments

• Wood & Wood-splitter (WinCE) (Medium).jpg
    Wood & Wood-splitter (WinCE) (Medium).jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 389
  • Tree Guy 2 (Medium).jpg
    Tree Guy 2 (Medium).jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 387
  • Finished Stove 2 (Medium).jpg
    Finished Stove 2 (Medium).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 408
Nice! Enjoy the heat and the learning curve. You'll learn a lot in your first season, which should make the second one a bit easier. Good call getting that oak worked up for next year. You can't get too far ahead with your wood supply. ;-)

Congratulations! To my untrained eye, everything looks great! On one thread here awhile back, we talked about our stove burns and someone suggested blaming the 'stripes' on suicide attempts rather than clumsey stove loading (to save face, of course). Indeed, this site is absolutely the last word on how to do everything!

I see you live at the Jersey shore. Since you are new to burning and may not know, I'll mention you should never, ever burn driftwood in your stove....any wood out of salt water. It would be highly corrosive and is even mentioned as a no-no in my stove owner's manual.

Isn't it the best fun not to hear the heater come on constantly? Good job!

Birdman1 said:
Greetings all
got the install done about 10 days now(pics),furnace has not kicked on since. 22outside and its a balmy 77 in the dining room
scrounged a bunch of wood in that time and took a huge white oak down from the side of the house (see pics). gonna burn good next year.
got two nice bites across both fore arms(twins-lol) stuffin in a load the other day.
this site has been great with all the info, dont think i have had a question yet that you all have not already posted about.
gotta thank ya for that.
pics are of my buddy mike up in the big oak and a little of the the stuff i got out of the yard before i started scoungin
it has been a fun time so far for the wife, so far we have had beetles ,silverfish and a bad case of the ants when the wood i brought in

Judging by your pics you've hit the ground running! You'll have some great firewood next year when that oak is seasoned.. Oh and welcome to the best forum on the web!!

Ray

Welcome from a fellow south Jersey guy. I didn't get my install finished till right after x-mas, been a great secound half of the season., love the heat, i rcvd my last oil delivery in Nov. Now all that's left is the stripers starting in the bay.
Hank

Welcome Birdman. I like your avatar too.

That oak will give you a good start but you might also be amazed at how little wood you'll get from it compared to your actual needs for a whole season of burning. You've also found one of the nasty things; bugs; insects, critters... You will actually notice a lot less of this problem once you start getting your wood pile way ahead of time.

On that oak, get it split as soon as possible. I'd also recommend stacking it outdoors in the sun and wind, but especially the wind. Oak has a tendency to season very, very slow because of the denseness of it. But if you split it small and get it out in the air it should be okay. Don't cover it after you stack it either. That will allow for better evaporation.

You got a stove AND a log splitter in the same year!!! :bug: :bug: :bug: Thats the way to do it. I split by hand for 6 years before I got smart...

Hey guys thanks for the support, I have been reading these posts for about 6 weeks before my install and
found that this by far is the best place I have found on the net yet,( cept for the one I got yelled at for.)
Never been on a forum before but just had to be a part of this one after reading it for a while.

Pagey said:
Nice! Enjoy the heat and the learning curve. You'll learn a lot in your first season, which should make the second one a bit easier. Good call getting that oak worked up for next year. You can't get too far ahead with your wood supply. ;-)

thanks
learned alot from readin so much here and hoping to get way ahead for next year.

raybonz said:
Birdman1 said:
Greetings all
gotta thank ya for that.

Judging by your pics you've hit the ground running! You'll have some great firewood next year when that oak is seasoned.. Oh and welcome to the best forum on the web!!

Ray

thanks for the welcome
the forum def. helped me get running faster.

The stove looks great Birdman. Nice fireview. How is the glass for staying clean so far? What is on the connector pipe? It looks like it's tattooed from top to bottom.

kork said:
Welcome from a fellow south Jersey guy. I didn't get my install finished till right after x-mas, been a great secound half of the season., love the heat, i rcvd my last oil delivery in Nov. Now all that's left is the stripers starting in the bay.
Hank

thanks

DUDE !!!

i hit island beach state park constantly (got a killer spot for steamers)
most of the wood i burned (pre stove)would be when i would throw half a load in the pick up
and hit the beach in the end of oct. to load up on croakers. big fire =warm birdman
i'm by rt 37
maybe see ya out there

BeGreen said:
The stove looks great Birdman. Nice fireview. How is the glass for staying clean so far? What is on the connector pipe? It looks like it's tattooed from top to bottom.

thanks be
got the dreaded white haze i read so much about
most comes off w/the paper towel water plain ,or w/ashes combo
but got one spot that will not budge, bought the rutland stuff today and hit it like three times
but nuthin,just won't come off
tatoos are that ivy lookin stuff that mounts around your pipe (well the stoves pipe-lol)
and it helped sell it to the wife, hell if she keeps loadin it while i am at work i'll put bows and
flowers on it as long as the furnace dont kick on :)

Backwoods Savage said:
Welcome Birdman. I like your avatar too.

That oak will give you a good start but you might also be amazed at how little wood you'll get from it compared to your actual needs for a whole season of burning. You've also found one of the nasty things; bugs; insects, critters... You will actually notice a lot less of this problem once you start getting your wood pile way ahead of time.

On that oak, get it split as soon as possible. I'd also recommend stacking it outdoors in the sun and wind, but especially the wind. Oak has a tendency to season very, very slow because of the denseness of it. But if you split it small and get it out in the air it should be okay. Don't cover it after you stack it either. That will allow for better evaporation.

thanks

thanks for the tips sav
have read alot of posts bout stackin and such over the past weeks
and i don't know how i'll be with the fresh cut oak for next season cause i gotta stack all along stockade fences
to keep the ol lady happy and kepp the kids from gettin smushed
i have a spot way out in the back where i could run stacks between trees on pallets or such but it
would suck to leave it there in the winter and have to walk all the way out to it or to move it closer when its ready
cause then i gotta move it twice.

The white haze is pretty normal if you're burning a lot of wood. I clean it off on the weekend if the stove is cool. Otherwise I just live with it. That's the first time I've seen that ivy stuff in a real installation. If she likes it and she's helping with the fire, then it's a winner.

burntime said:
You got a stove AND a log splitter in the same year!!! :bug: :bug: :bug: Thats the way to do it. I split by hand for 6 years before I got smart...

i split about cord by hand in about 8 hours(4 hrs a day for two days) before i got the splitter.
and the two full days before i droped cut and bucked and put more than that in a pile to be split.
well after the second day(before i started splittin) i already had the numb hands, the back thing, the somthin stabbin ya in the
armpits while your TRYING to sleep thing
so i told the wife that all i gotta do is sell 300.00 worth of fire wood 10 times and the splitter will pay for itself :cheese:
had to think fast as the install went a couple G over what i told her it was gonna cost :down:

BeGreen said:
The white haze is pretty normal if you're burning a lot of wood. I clean it off on the weekend if the stove is cool. Otherwise I just live with it. That's the first time I've seen that ivy stuff in a real installation. If she likes it and she's helping with the fire, then it's a winner.

Oouuuch
dude thats funny.

she even goes out in the rain to the pile if the hoop i got for her on the porch is empty
gotta give her credit shes doin good
do you think i messed up the glass or am i just not putting enough elbow into that spot
that wont come off??

I occasionally get a bad spot on the glass and have found that it just takes repeated cleanings to get it off. I use regular glass cleaner, with a little stove ash for abrasive. Spray, let sit for about 10 seconds, wipe off with some ashes. Repeat as long as it takes. Usually after 2-3 repeats the glass is clean again.

BeGreen said:
I occasionally get a bad spot on the glass and have found that it just takes repeated cleanings to get it off. I use regular glass cleaner, with a little stove ash for abrasive. Spray, let sit for about 10 seconds, wipe off with some ashes. Repeat as long as it takes. Usually after 2-3 repeats the glass is clean again.

gotcha
we hit this one spot about 4 times with the water and ash and a couple today with the rutland stuff while the stove was cold but nuthin
the installers said not to use anything ammonia based cause it could make the glass turn yellow
are they yankin my chain??
the whole window comes clean real easy cept for one spot about 1/2 inch wide and three long halfway above center
cant see it on the other side of the room but i guess it bothers me cause im still new at it and its got me beat so far

Status
Not open for further replies.