up later that i wanna be with stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
took the insert apart today and installed new blower motor(just went to lowes and bought a bathroom vent motor...worked great just had to cut the shaft off a little to make it work...working great but no heat all day house got to 63 degrees(to stuborn to turn heat pump on as i was the only one home)...got it back up about 6 oclock....been running her pretty hard...temps in the house are now 75 76....now i gotta choke her down good(which is taking a little while) before i load her down for the night.

I hear you there. I'm discovering how to use my insert and i finally realized i needed to get to 500 to get some good heat. I get home from work at 11 so burning overnight shouldn't be too hard.

Resist the temptation to sleep by the fire, to keep her going.............it'll ruin your good sleep!! (I know.....I've done it).

-Soupy1957

We never choke a fire down so that we can load for night. It becomes a habit to make sure the fire has burned down by the time we want to load for the night. Yesterday was sort of an extreme example as my wife was tending the stove. She asked me if she should just put in one piece to get the coals burned down (but we still needed good heat). I told her to put in 2 real small pieces, which she did. Well, we ended up staying up later so after a while I asked he to put in one more piece.

Because of a problem I was having she also had to load the stove for night and she did it while I was taking a shower. When I came out to look at the fire I have to say she did a great job and already had the draft set at about .75 so we were ready to head to bed. I put in a couple pieces around 5:00. I just got up to look and the stove top is at 460. I also opened the draft full because there is a rather large coal bed and the wood I put in is not that far from the coaling stage.

We have to go away today so I'll just do this morning what we did last night so that just before we leave we can stock up the stove for a long burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.