Up To Date Reviews of Napoleon Nz6000 High Country

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cberenguer

Aug 1, 2015
mount albert
HI There

I didnt see any more recent threads since 2006 re the NZ6000 High Country unit so I thought I would start a new one. I have some questions and I am hoping that there are some more recent purchasers of this unit that can comment.

We are building a 4000sqft Timberframe home in York Region Ontario Canada and were looking at this unit for our great room which will have almost 30 foot ceilings. We want a unit that will be fairly large and a feature item as it will be the core of the great room. Due to the size of the house and fact that we want this to give off a lot of heat this was our first choice. We've always heard the name Napoleon as a great brand and thought we were making a good choice.

However, our inital plan was to buy this unit from our local DirectBuy as we are members and it looks like we would save a couple thousand at least going this route. I have been trying to find a local company to install the unit and do relevant chimney work and everyone I contact is either not familiar with the unit OR does not recommend it. Apparently there was some recent known issues with the unit freezing up if not in use due to air flow / intake units? Apparently there used to be some sort of vent under the doors of the unit but now they have been removed (thus resolving the freezing issue, but no longer allowing for control over air flow??). They claim that apparently DirectBuy is getting all the old unit with the old vent and issues??? Can anyone confirm this??

If anyone has any experience (recent) with the newest version of this please share! Is airflow / freezing still an issue? Are the old bolt / hinge issues I read about back in 2006 now resolved? Are you happy with the unit??

My local dealer is now recommending a Pacific brand unit which I was going to do some more research into now.

Thank you for your time!

HI There

I didnt see any more recent threads since 2006 re the NZ6000 High Country unit so I thought I would start a new one. I have some questions and I am hoping that there are some more recent purchasers of this unit that can comment.

We are building a 4000sqft Timberframe home in York Region Ontario Canada and were looking at this unit for our great room which will have almost 30 foot ceilings. We want a unit that will be fairly large and a feature item as it will be the core of the great room. Due to the size of the house and fact that we want this to give off a lot of heat this was our first choice. We've always heard the name Napoleon as a great brand and thought we were making a good choice.

However, our inital plan was to buy this unit from our local DirectBuy as we are members and it looks like we would save a couple thousand at least going this route. I have been trying to find a local company to install the unit and do relevant chimney work and everyone I contact is either not familiar with the unit OR does not recommend it. Apparently there was some recent known issues with the unit freezing up if not in use due to air flow / intake units? Apparently there used to be some sort of vent under the doors of the unit but now they have been removed (thus resolving the freezing issue, but no longer allowing for control over air flow??). They claim that apparently DirectBuy is getting all the old unit with the old vent and issues??? Can anyone confirm this??

If anyone has any experience (recent) with the newest version of this please share! Is airflow / freezing still an issue? Are the old bolt / hinge issues I read about back in 2006 now resolved? Are you happy with the unit??

My local dealer is now recommending a Pacific brand unit which I was going to do some more research into now.

Thank you for your time!

Was there no answers to this post? :(
I have all the same questions, and was set on ordering a NZ6000 tomorrow. Our framers are on hold waiting for me to pick out our fireplace and the roofers right behind them.

If anyone has any answers, I would appreciate the help!! :)
I can't get the FPX44 Elite, or the Montecito Estate, or the BIS Tradition - all of which were the models behind our first pick the High Country NZ6000.

Last I heard of the NZ6000 were the big heavy doors with weak hinges. Other concerns were that the glass blackened easily and the blower was noisy. I'm not sure if that issue was addressed or not. Have you also looked at the Heat & Glo Northstar, Kozy Z42, Quadrafire 7100 and the Superior WCT6840?

HI There

Thank you for your time!
I
Was there no answers to this post? :(
I have all the same questions, and was set on ordering a NZ6000 tomorrow. Our framers are on hold waiting for me to pick out our fireplace and the roofers right behind them.

If anyone has any answers, I would appreciate the help!! :)
I can't get the FPX44 Elite, or the Montecito Estate, or the BIS Tradition - all of which were the models behind our first pick the High Country NZ6000.

I have been burning a nz6000 since 2010 and still feel I made the right choice in purchasing this unit. The hinges sagged the first year but napolean sent a redesigned hinge set that has given me no problems since. The glass gets dirty every time I burn. They are big doors and when the fire starts to die down the cold air that washes the window causes the glass to creosote up. It's not that hard to clean up, just an extra 5-10 minutes. Been using dampened newspaper dipped in the ash and a spray bottle of water to clean it. I never had a problem with the intake air freezing. When I installed it we wrapped the pipe in insulation so it wouldn't condensate from the cold air traveling thru the cellars warmer air. The blower came with a 10 ft pipe that I installed in the basement below the stove and yes the blower was noise along with the air rushing thru the fireplace vent. The remedy to this I came across by chance as I needed to move the blower to a different area to partition a room in the basement, so I added 20 feet of pipe to the run and the air coming out of the stove is a lot quieter now. Blower is still noisey but I put it under the steps.
Overall I'm still happy with this fireplace. It is big, the room I have it in has 17 foot ceilings and the house is 2900sqft with an open floor plan. It will heat the house up. It consumes wood, it is a fireplace not a wood stove. I usually let fire burn out at nite but there are enough red coals to easily start a new fire the next morning. By letting the fire go out it let's my furnace run a little during the night to balance out the cold spots.
I hope this helps you with your decision

Last edited:
Reactions: begreen
I

I have been burning a nz6000 since 2010 and still feel I made the right choice in purchasing this unit. The hinges sagged the first year but napolean sent a redesigned hinge set that has given me no problems since. The glass gets dirty every time I burn. They are big doors and when the fire starts to die down the cold air that washes the window causes the glass to creosote up. It's not that hard to clean up, just an extra 5-10 minutes. Been using dampened newspaper dipped in the ash and a spray bottle of water to clean it. I never had a problem with the intake air freezing. When I installed it we wrapped the pipe in insulation so it wouldn't condensate from the cold air traveling thru the cellars warmer air. The blower came with a 10 ft pipe that I installed in the basement below the stove and yes the blower was noise along with the air rushing thru the fireplace vent. The remedy to this I came across by chance as I needed to move the blower to a different area to partition a room in the basement, so I added 20 feet of pipe to the run and the air coming out of the stove is a lot quieter now. Blower is still noisey but I put it under the steps.
Overall I'm still happy with this fireplace. It is big, the room I have it in has 17 foot ceilings and the house is 2900sqft with an open floor plan. It will heat the house up. It consumes wood, it is a fireplace not a wood stove. I usually let fire burn out at nite but there are enough red coals to easily start a new fire the next morning. By letting the fire go out it let's my furnace run a little during the night to balance out the cold spots.
I hope this helps you with your decision

Did you use any special type of insulation around the intake pipe? I am having an issue with mine freezing and condensating.

The air intake for the fireplace came from outside along an I beam. I just wrapped it with unfaced 6" fiberglass wall insulation. Used wire to tie it in place. I then box it and the beam in with plywood. So far so good.

The air intake for the fireplace came from outside along an I beam. I just wrapped it with unfaced 6" fiberglass wall insulation. Used wire to tie it in place. I then box it and the beam in with plywood. So far so good.

Did you run the insulation all the way to the unit? Meaning, is the insulation touching the unit where the pipe comes out?

We have purchased a NZ 6000 from Direct Buy and have some questions about the installation. Can anyone give us any recommendations about the combustion ducts? One will go to the outside wall, however we do not know about the other one.

Status
Not open for further replies.