Update on smoke issue with my Quad MVAE...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PelletGirl

Burning Hunk
Oct 25, 2014
Long Island, NY
So, the smoke thing happened again but we were prepared this time. When we pulled the ashpan, there were a lot of unburnt pellets as well as some which were partially burned and smoking. For some reason, the stove is auto-cleaning and then turning off instead of keeping the fan on to blow out the extra smoke, so the smoke from the pan leaks into the house. We called the techies at Quad and they told us if the pellets are really ashy (which they are - weren't last year as we used some of the same) to clean it more often (which we're doing) and change the setting to utility pellets. It will dump the ash more often so it doesn't get clogged up. Then they also suggested we get a tech out here because there may be a problem with a fan motor (which I don't think there is because when its burning, it works fine) or the thermocouple needs to be replaced. Just need to figure out why its dumping when it shouldn't and why the fan doesn't stay on to clear the residual smoke.

Interesting. Well you can just do as they say I guess. Almost sounds like a board or programming issue though.

Out of warranty?
Can't remember if they still have problems with thermostat not communicating with the stove ... remember it was a Quadrafire but will search the forum.

Exhaust fan should stay on 20 minutes after auto-clean shutdown. Wondering if it isn't getting started in time, and does a restart? A misfire so to speak. Can you take a small mirror and flashlight and hold mirror in pot and make sure igniter slit is clear of any debris or clinker pc.'s, that could cause it to start late? Othewise, hopefully you are still under warranty and get a tech out. kap

Reactions: Lake Girl
Perhaps partially closed holes/ slit in ignitor area of burn pot? The Quad cleanout tool that comes with the stove (looks a bit like a bent letter opener) is an effective but too-seldom-used tool by many owners, and could address that. I personally find putting on latex or nitrile gloves and feeling around the (cold, of course) burn pot to find and clean the holes and ignitor slit works well (I lack the coordination and dexterity to use a mirror well as I use the tool).

Reactions: kappel15
We have cleaned the holes and slit in the burn pot thoroughly every time since we found the slit blocked so that isn't the issue (at least not this time) but thank you for the suggestion. I think there have been some misfires but don't know why since the burn pot is clean. It is working well on the utility setting for now but we're keeping an eye on it. Not sure about the warranty - have to check. Even if it's not under warranty, we got a great deal on the stove and will be ahead of the game even if we have to pay for a service call.

Thanks everyone for the input!

Reactions: kappel15
Sometimes you can get an ash build-up in the igniter housing too, that can partially block the igniter. Hope the utility setting works. kap

Working better with the utility setting so far (much cleaner too). Will have my husband check the igniter housing also. Thanks KAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.