Update on the venting for my Quad MVAE...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PelletGirl

Burning Hunk
Oct 25, 2014
Long Island, NY
The stove guy was here to fix it today finally so it's fixed, right? NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I am just beyond fed up. He left the silicone here so my husband is troubleshooting and fixing it little by little. Stove guy didn't even fix where I specifically said I smelled the smoke (he said I was wrong - it was wafting upward from below). Well, husband fixed that part but I think the stove guy shifted the venting when he "fixed" it because now there are leaks where there weren't before. Husband almost has it fixed - one or two more spots and hopefully it will be done. On the bright side, when the venting was taken apart there wasn't much ash and it was powdery and not sticky. Unfortunately, we are in the blizzard zone so I was hoping it would be fixed already. Trying to be patient...

Hubby will get it. Remember it is easier to see smoke in the dark with a flashlight. Hope you are up and running for the big tado you got coming. And I would be telling the dealer there shouldn't be a service call on this, and you are sending him a bill for labor. kap

Kap, there was no fee for the service call as this was still related to our install - he just didn't get out here to remedy the situation until now. And Wil, the owner of the store was out today to "fix" it but I'm guessing there's a reason he's the owner and not the installer. We've seen small amounts of smoke, silicone them and next time they are coming out somewhere else. All I can guess is that these little leaks were always there, but once we seal one the pressure pushes harder on the ones we didn't seal yet so it's more noticeable. One by one we're tracking them down. Think we may have gotten them all but we shall see tomorrow.

What brand pipe is it ??

I would get a roll of self bonding silicone tape. Its wide enough to cover the pipe junctions and gets tight and no worry about if theres a pin hole leak in the silicone goop. Looks far neater and easier to remove to.

Reactions: DMKNLD
I think we are going to use the silicone goop and then go over the seams with the tape. If that doesn't fix it then I have no idea what else to do.

This morning we didn't see any smoke and there was only a faint smell so I think we are getting close.

I think we are going to use the silicone goop and then go over the seams with the tape. If that doesn't fix it then I have no idea what else to do.

This morning we didn't see any smoke and there was only a faint smell so I think we are getting close.
I have noticed on my MVAE that every time I use the quick connect on the vent when cleaning, I smell smoke for the next day or two. Never enough to see, but a faint whiff at startup. After a few startups, it seems to seal itself and the odor is gone. With all the pushing around of the vent that you have done, I think you might want to take a wait and see approach to final efforts to seal the vent.

We are taking that approach. We sealed where we actually saw wisps of smoke (which weren't there before the "repair" so I can only assume that it is from moving the venting around). Just want to finally have this complete and properly done. We are so close that I am getting impatient now.

Status
Not open for further replies.