Update on too dry wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Most of you have seen the other thread about too dry wood so this is just a follow up as I got a good response from Woodstock. I'll sort of paraphrase what I received (some of the actual words are in quotes):

They did acknowledge that we do burn good dry wood (I still wish I'd taken them a sample or two but with the quarantine in many places I just did not want to take the chance) and that I've had good luck (luck or experience?) burning dry wood. But as expected, this has not always been the case with some wood burners.

As we well know, many new wood burners do not have the luxury of having experienced folks around to show them how to operate their stoves. Nor do they have anyone to advise them on the various woods and seasoning, etc. Then there are also those who have had the opposite thing. They've had "experienced" folks advise them....wrongly. So I am sure Woodstock has their hands full at times trying to explain things to folks. Just look at some problems we run across here on this forum!

So some folks might get some good dry wood (maybe pallets?) and stuff it into their stove and enjoy lots of heat; but that is too much heat for the stove. We know of one nice fellow who was reaching over 800 degrees regularly with his stove. I believe he went up to 850. His problem was he ran across some large piles of posts that had sat in the hot southern sun with a very dry climate and had been stacked for years that way. Indeed, that was too dry. This is only one example but I'm sure there are many. What about the poor man who knew no different and tried burning OSB in his stove! I'll bet that thing was roaring!

Or maybe someone gets really lucky and finds some really dry wood. So they fill the stove with good dry wood and,

"...the results of that are usually internal overfire which can or will cause parts inside of a stove to deteriorate a lot sooner than they should just because the wood burns at a much higher temp. That is what, like most manufactures, are worried about happening to our customer's stoves. We have seen it through photos or stoves that have come back to the shop for refurbishing. The castings are bright red which is what cast iron does when oxidation occurs. Once it turns red and if it happens often enough, the cast iron weakens and at some point it will weaken enough to make it warp or break apart prematurely."

I think that answer was excellent and is pretty much what I expected. I can understand the problem Woodstock and other manufacturers have.

Therefore, my conclusion is quite the same as it has been in the past. Some folks just do not have enough knowledge and therefore can and will sometimes damage their stoves by over firing simply because they did not know any different. One only has to look at posts we find every year where someone is burning their stove with the draft full open!

I think this is also why Woodstock includes a thermometer with every stove and also why they say 700 degree maximum on the stove top. No doubt the stove could take much higher temperatures but there has to be some protection. For instance, let's say they claimed 800 degree maximum temperature. Then folks might very well take the stove top to 850 and think nothing more about it. But that is how some bad things can happen and knowing what the internal temperatures are like, if something warped or cracked and some of that heat and flames were to become external rather than internal.....well, that would certainly not be pleasant to say the least.

So my feelings on the good dry wood has not changed at all. I have never thought our wood has been too dry nor do I think very many people would have that problem.....unless they burn something like pallet wood or lumber cut-offs that are super dry and then stuff their stove with it. Or maybe someone bought dry slab wood that is something like pine or soft maple or even cottonwood. Stuffing a stove with small stuff like that which burns hot that and super dry on top of it all, then one can make an argument about the wood being too dry. However, it is not so much that the wood is too dry but rather poor burning practices with dry wood.

So folks, don't feel bad if you are blessed with having many years of wood split and stacked. As for me, 6-7 years of wood stacked up and all ready to burn is both ideal and great!

Also, this year is one example why it is good to be ahead on the wood supply because I have not been able to cut as much wood as normal. No problem! We still have plenty and even if I can not cut next winter; no problem as we will still have plenty.

For the new wood burners, getting ahead is a huge undertaking. After all, they have spent many dollars installing the stove and want to save money by burning wood but now they find they are faced with making sure they have 2-3 years wood on hand just to make sure it is dry and ready to burn. For sure it is a huge task to get ahead and/or a big layout of more dollars to get that much wood on hand. But also one only has to look at many posts here on this forum and folks that previously battled with poor fuel now find just how much better things go with good dry wood on hand. Less wood burned but warmer house. No more fighting to get the stove temperature high enough to get the heat that is needed either and a lot, lot less problems cleaning chimneys all the time.

The benefits are so overwhelming that I just want to keep hammering away at folks the benefits of making good fuel. Now get out there and cut some wood!

Dennis,

Well, that's good. I've not even considered that my wood might get too dry. On the other hand, I have worried that it might rot or get punky before I burn it. For example, I had a friend (been burning wood forever) tell me to be careful with beech - it rots/punks fast. I have a reasonable amount of beech in some stacks that are slated for 2013/2014. I'm a tad worried now that the beech might go bad, but not sure if this info is true. Any thoughts? Back to your post: I'm under the impression that (assuming rot is not an issue) many areas, NH included, are humid enough that the wood can only get 'so dry' - eventually reaching an equilibrium with ambient humidity. I assumed that perhaps 18% (as measure by the MC meters) is about as good as I'll get (which, of course, is great). Cheers!

I would not worry a bit about the beech. As long as it is stacked like your other wood it will keep just as long and burn great too.

I also agree with you that your wood will only get so dry and that is it. I still don't use MM.

Dennis - good - that's what I was thinking too. All my wood is up on pallets and in good sun/wind. I think it will all be great. I'll just check on the beech once in a while to see how it's doing. Yes - the MM is just for fun at this point - as you say, for those able to get 3-4 years ahead, no need. Cheers!

Backwoods Savage said:
For the new wood burners, getting ahead is a huge undertaking.
The benefits are so overwhelming that I just want to keep hammering away at folks the benefits of making good fuel. Now get out there and cut some wood!

I couldn't agree more, and my current plan is to try to get 2 years ahead by this coming autumn, and 3 or more years ahead the following autumn.
I'm currently collecting, sawing, and chopping twice as much wood as I'm burning, and hopefully my burning will reduce in Spring, but I intend continuing the collecting into the summer.

I only have to do it once. Then all I have to do is saw, chop, and burn one year at a time, just 3 or more years ahead instead of struggling to keep up every year.

That's the plan anyway :)

NH_Wood said:
Dennis,

Well, that's good. I've not even considered that my wood might get too dry. On the other hand, I have worried that it might rot or get punky before I burn it. For example, I had a friend (been burning wood forever) tell me to be careful with beech - it rots/punks fast. I have a reasonable amount of beech in some stacks that are slated for 2013/2014. I'm a tad worried now that the beech might go bad, but not sure if this info is true. Any thoughts? Back to your post: I'm under the impression that (assuming rot is not an issue) many areas, NH included, are humid enough that the wood can only get 'so dry' - eventually reaching an equilibrium with ambient humidity. I assumed that perhaps 18% (as measure by the MC meters) is about as good as I'll get (which, of course, is great). Cheers!

In my experience, yes, beech does rot pretty fast under the right conditions, but that's only when it's lying in a pile on the ground in the woods or in some other circumstance where it's getting wet but can't dry off easily. Stacked up in sun and air, it dries very nicely and relatively rapidly for such a dense, hard wood.

I did have some big rock maple splits that largely went to rot that were stacked outside against the west side of my barn when I bought the house 5 years ago. Given the family's circumstances and the passing of the man of the house 7 years before, I'd guess it had been there for a good 10 years before that. So 15 years up against the side of the barn and plenty of moisture would have gotten trapped in there without full air circulation to let it evaporate before the wood soaked it up. Man, was I disappointed when I dug into that stack and discovered how punky and disgusting it was. I saved a small amount that was still usable and the rest of it went back to the woods floor to rot in peace.

I say worry less to everyone, and just burn it, and enjoy the warmth, and crackling sounds a sweet fire makes.

I hear too much BS from people, including those that say my wood will never dry because I pile it unsplit.

Yet its very dry once I split it, so that kills that theory.

Anyways, i say better too dry than too wet, but burn what you have.

If its 8% or 28% its still going to burn, just the wood at just 8% moisture will burn better, and release more BTU's.

If my stove ever did get too hot, i just close the damper more.

If your really worried for some reason, toss in a mixed load of super dry, and some wetter wood both at once when reloading.

Status
Not open for further replies.