Updated - The Sickness: A Mid-Summer Adventure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Just picked up a Mansfield at an incredible price ($400). It will be replacing the Vigilant. May god have mercy on my burning-obsessed soul.

Welcome back. You know you always wanted that stove. It is a beauty. Hope is exceeds your dreams.

Now post some pics, or we'll think you're just pulling our legs.

Holy Crap !!!!! 400 is a smoking good deal !!!! Thats freakin unreal.

Shawn

BeGreen said:
Welcome back. You know you always wanted that stove. It is a beauty. Hope is exceeds your dreams.

Now post some pics, or we'll think you're just pulling our legs.

Thank! I won't have pics for a few weeks. But, I do have a question. The top center stone has a lot of scratches on it from a kettle. Anyone out there know if there is anything that can be done to lessen the appearance of the scratches in the soapstone?

shawneyboy said:
Holy Crap !!!!! 400 is a smoking good deal !!!! Thats freakin unreal.

Shawn

Yep. I found it 30 minutes after it was listed. Had him send over interior shots of the burn tubes and what not and I bought it before anyone else found it.

Fine steel wool should polish the light scratches out. If they are deep, start with 120 grit sandpaper, then 220 grit and work your way up to finer grades as the scratches disappear.

A piece of ceramic tile sitting on top of it.

Yeah, your sick alright, just like the rest of us :lol: Geat find, I would of done the same.

Congrats of the find! The mansfield is a great looking stove and I can't wait to hear your experiences with it and see some pictures!

Some steel wool and very fine sandpaper should help with the scratches. For super fine, 0000 steel wool should work well.

Thanks for the info, after some steel wool should I apply anything else?

elbow grease :)

BeGreen said:
elbow grease :)

Seems to be mandatory when it comes to stoves.

Yup! When you're done, just wipe with a damp rag. The stone finish should even out after a few fires.

BeGreen said:
Yup! When you're done, just wipe with a damp rag. The stone finish should even out after a few fires.

Thanks!

Wow, you hit!! Can't wait to hear your report when it's in operation. Almost make me wish it was Winter....Uhh, strike that last comment! :lol:

Woody Stover said:
Wow, you hit!! Can't wait to hear your report when it's in operation. Almost make me wish it was Winter....Uhh, strike that last comment! :lol:

I'm not wishing for winter, but three days of 30 degree weather to test this thing out would be perfect.

Here is a photo of the surface scratches on the soap stone. They don't appear to be deep, just plentiful.

Attachments

• Updated - The Sickness: A Mid-Summer Adventure
    DSCN0397.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 519
Looks awful. You can't be having that in your home. I will be up in the morning with the four hundred and a trailer to help you out. Because that is just the kind of website we are.

Looks pretty scratched up. I think I would start with 120 sandpaper and go down from there.

BrotherBart said:
Looks awful. You can't be having that in your home. I will be up in the morning with the four hundred and a trailer to help you out. Because that is just the kind of website we are.

You are a kind and caring soul...

Browning....i am sad, i saw this today, seems as though you beat us to it. Was quite the deal. Wife and i are trying to find something bigger for us. You lucky dog. Maybe youll sell us your heratige now....

Stump_Branch said:
Browning....i am sad, i saw this today, seems as though you beat us to it. Was quite the deal. Wife and i are trying to find something bigger for us. You lucky dog. Maybe youll sell us your heratige now....

So far I am keeping the Heritage. The Heritage is going where the Vigilant was located and the Mansfield is going where the Heritage currently is. I might be purchasing an Encore tomorrow which will replace the Intrepid.

If you are serious about wanting the Heritage I will contact you first if I end up selling it this summer as I might have the opportunity to purchase an Oslo at a fair price. The Heritage is in perfect condition, it is only a few years old (I think I'm the first to actually use it for any length of time), and I only paid $1,000 for it.

Browning i would be very interested. I have even managed to get the wife looking for stoves, (now shes using this site, maybe more sad than i on your good fortune) we looked at jotul this weekend as well, also very nice. Dont think we cant get one new, so if you do decide to let the heritage go, i would love to hear about it. Of course if you find another used mansfield for that price you could pass that on to!

I think you better play the lotto, you sure are having a string of good luck, or maybe open up your own used stove refub shop. Sounds like you will be plenty warm this Winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.