Upgrade advice desired

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Badgerdan

Jan 10, 2020
Twin Cities, MN
Hi all,

I've been following this forum for a while, but this is my first post. I have an old heat exchanger insert in an unsafe chimney in the basement of my 1955 house (see attached pics). I'd like to get back to burning wood, and looking to go the insert route, as part of the basement upgrade.
Unlike many, my goals are more for recreation and ambiance; I want to stick with a wood-burner as I enjoy wood fires. But, living in the city = buying wood, so not looking for this to be a primary source of heat.

Attached you will see pictures of what is currently there. The fireplace itself measures 33.5" wide x 24" high by about 18" deep.
The room itself is about 350 SF which is open to the rest of the basement (~1000 unfinished SF) and there is a stairway that can offload some heat too.
Chimney goes past the 2nd story, so estimating 25 feet of draft to work with from the basement.

Having read this forum I've gotten a bit of a short list together of possible inserts, but now that it's 2020 and the rules have changed, looking for further advice.

Short list currently:
-Lopi Flush Wood Hybrid-Fyre (medium size)
(I had pondered the Revere too, but no longer an option; I like the view better out of the flush options, but the stove-based inserts seem like they would do OK without a blower. The new Answer looks nice, but might would look tiny in that space)
-Jotul's inserts; not sure if the Rockport would fit, but the Kennebec would.
-Napoleon Oakdale EPI3c (like the glass size, but seem to hear less about them on this forum)
-Osburn Matrix (but nearest dealer is 50 miles away; not sure that it offers anything over more available brands)
-Anyone with experience with the Stuv insert? It seems to have a nice view but maybe a little more delicate
-Anyone with experience on the new QuadraFire Expedition II / VC Montpelier II (looking at the EPA site, they're classified as the same unit)? The previous VC Montpelier looked appealing on the surface, but with some of the commentary on this thread I had second thoughts.

Do folks have others they would recommend?
Of note, I'm not looking for a super long burn time, or for a catalytic system (would rather watch the reburn on a non-cat or hybrid stove)

Here's the current appearance, in all its 1970s glory. The doors together are about 13" x 30" but with those thick metal trims around each bi-fold section, the view is OK but not awesome.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts! I've already learned a bunch reading through others' posts.

Attachments

• IMG_6442rev.jpg
    IMG_6442rev.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 149
Looks like clearance to combustibles side and top need to be checked. Also hearth requirements in front of stove. I would start with looking at mfg. requirements for each to refine my list of stove options.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I have a Lopi Answer in a large brick fireplace surround. Looks fine. I can post a picture. I like the Answer a lot for my application.

I’m kinda fond of this Rockland.
257CE693-507D-43D9-8FBE-99E6F07402E2.jpeg

steer clear of the montpelier 2/expedition..they are single burn rate stoves (no user air control) and will burn through wood and imo are unsafe.

i hav e an original Montpelier which i really enjoy although i did need to tweak it a bit. it was getting too much air even when fully closed and would get a bit too hot...might be that im burning exclusively jack pine atm. anyhow reducing air has made it a wonderful insert that has a great view, can get 6-7 hour burns on softwood (i imagine 10+ would be possible with say oak), and can heat the entirety of our 1650 sf house in zero degree weather or below if i push the insert a bit)