Upgrade B Vent to Direct Vent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gr8dane

Jan 5, 2008
Newport Beach, CA
Sorry for the newbie question, but I haven't been able to find an answer to this question anywhere.

I live in a towhhome where we have an old gas fireplace that presumably uses a B Vent (no wood burning allowed and pipes run inside the wall). I would like to upgrade the fireplace to a more contemporary unit and really like the looks of the Montigo LV series, but these are all DV units. From the documentation, I see that they will take a vertical DV. The question then becomes: Is it possible to upgrade my existing B Vent pipes to DV pipes? I'm obviously looking at having this professionally done, but I'm trying to find out if it's even possible, and if so, how big a deal it is? The fireplace is on the first floor of a 2 story home. There is also an exterior wall perpendicular to the fireplace as well as a crawl space below the entire living room (in case that presents different options).

Sorry if this is a naive question - I just really like the looks of the Montigo fireplaces and it seems B Vent fireplaces have a rather limited selection.

Thanks,

\ Henrik
Newport Beach, CA

It is a matter of getting the new pipe in - and the old one out. This can often be done to a large degree from the top and the bottom.....once you rip the old one out. Also, you might have the option - with the DV - of going up a few feet and then out the side...not going all way up. This would work fine and should cost less.

Cheapest way is to tear out the old B Vent and then run the direct vent out the sidewall. You will also get better performance out of the direct vent unit this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.