Upgrade for the dolamer from Home depot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnsopi

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2006
MD near DE&PA;
Has any one done the Homedepot used saw dolamor 6400 sale deal, then upgraded to the 7900 piston kit?
Who sales the kit and how hard is the upgrade? Is it worth it if you have to have a shop do the work for you.
I want a big cc saw, for the big trees.

I did mine no problem took about an hour, You will need a {Good T handle torx driver in t27 size} a needle nose pilers, exacto knife to trim the stop off the limiter caps on the high&low;speed needles. I richened up the hi needle 1/4 turn, low 1/8 turn. I am still running a bit rich for the break-in. Amicks has the best price, http://www.amickssuperstore.com/Dolmar_7900_Piston_Cylinder_p/dolmar 038 130 030.htm Really has some B-lls now :ahhh: I love mine. Jay

Sounds intriguing- what's it supposed to do..................

Looks cool- might have a runaway chainsaw on your hands.......................

Are they actually Dolmars or are they branded Makitas made by Dolmar. I could use (not need) a new, bigger saw and this would be a great way to go for me, the upgrade path would be nice to have later on.

Do you just go to HD and ask if they have any for sale or do they usually wind up in the tool corral?

They are blue makitas in the 6400 model only. The same saws that you can buy mail order for under 500$.

Would you really want a used saw from a rental place? I mean come'on, how do you think the many different renters treated it? Do you really think that one of them didn't use straight gas, didn't pinch the bar and then jerk it out, didn't drop it in the woods. The renters of this world have likely never used a saw and certainly aren't interested in taking extra good care of it.

For the extra couple of hundred bucks you would get brand new plastic, new bar, new sprockets, new chain, clean air filter, new fuel hoses and filter, etc. All of the bolts will have sharp points and the crank seals will be new. I don't know, for my money the new Makita 6400 is looking very nice.

The home depot Makita saws can be a great buy, They are rented for {2 years} they have a service log on that saw ask for it. Some of those saw's have only been rented 2-5 times, Some more. Ask for the log each saw has one. So if you can over look a few scratches and don't care about a safety chain that you will probably toss I'd say go for it ;-) Dolmar is owend by Makita. They are all made in the same plant in Germany some go out the door red-orange--Dolmar some blue--Makita. The guys on ArboristSite.com suck them up when they turn them loose. http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=73307&highlight=HD

Having nothing to lose I sent HD an e-mail asking if they have a way to notify me of when my local store puts this stuff up for sale. At the worst, I'll waste a trip to HD because the saw they have is junk...at the best I'll saw $300 on a really good saw.

Right about now I'm getting all played out with all the Dolmar scuttlebutt...

....I just wish you dolmar fans would could print up a holy graphic, place it a sacred chalice blessed by your dolmar Pope so I could make a print out and urinate on it in the back yard.

The fannage seems cyclical. Right now we have alot of Dolmar threads, Stihl week just went by...soon we'll be coming up on Husqvarna-don. About mid October there will be a couple days of heavy Poulan Wild Thing postings, but the heavy saw owners will shut them down quickly with steady recommendations to get a "real saw".

Its all in good fun...I probably won't replace my Craftsman 18" till it blows the piston out through the housing, and since I take decent care of my equipment that probably means I won't buy a new saw for years to come. But just like buying a new flat panel TV...its fun to think about that super nice new toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.