Upgrade from Pacific Energy? Opinions Please!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Medman

Feeling the Heat
Jul 8, 2008
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
After spending the past two years getting the EKO boiler installed and running well, it's time to focus on the woodstove I use during the shoulder seasons. I have a 1992 Pacific Energy Super 27 -now called Spectrum). It needs some work now - new baffle, side rails, insulation, and firebrick. I can get the parts and I have no problem doing the work, but it is finished in Wedgewood Blue Enamel and I hate the color. I am thinking that it might be time to sell this one and upgrade (and get a better color!)

I have not looked at woodstoves and I have not spent much time on this forum - I'm mostly in the Boiler Room. I would appreciate any input regarding a replacement for this stove that is as efficient or better than PE, same or better EPA, non-cat, and can handle 20" firewood. I have been extremely happy with this stove and I am considering another PE, but I'm wondering what other models you suggest. If you can give me an idea of price, too - for example I am looking at PE models here in the $3000 range.

Thanks!

Ryan

Closer by to you would be a Canadian stove by SBI (Osburn,Enerzone, etc.) or Wolf (Napoleon). But PE still makes excellent stoves with an enclosed stainless baffle system, so if you like them, get another. Actually the side panels are removable. I'm wondering if it could just be reclad? Check out www.chimneysweeponline.com for current pricing. Tom can get you rebuild parts if you decide to go that route. Personally we are very happy with the Alderlea T6.

I looked at a reclad, but my stove has the damper control on the side, not underneath, and PE no longer makes the panels for the side control option. I was really thinking about another PE, but since I don't know what else is out there I thought I would ask.

Thanks!

Well, PE's have just gotten better since your stove. My next door neighbor has the current Spectrum and has nothing but praise for it. Maybe give Tom a call to see what it would cost to have one shipped out to you.

Buy Canadian!

The newer PE's are fine stoves. As suggested, the large Napoleon is good, there's also the Regency stoves. If you like the PE and it's obviously served you well, then I'd consider either doing the work to maintain it (maybe you could take off the panels and get them redone in whatever colour you want) or look at another PE. Why mess with a good thing.

Go Sens Go!

agreed w/ the previous 2 psts: stick w/ PE... the Summit takes a 20" log, and you can get it in a variety of flavors to suit your color needs.

Not sure if your going to find a much better stove in regards to quality, reliability, etc. If you wanted a different look or capacity, then start browsing. You could do worse than a new PE. Lots of good stoves out there that are in the same quality range, but also some stoves that would be a step backwards. Stay with the PE is my vote

Status
Not open for further replies.