Upgrade or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hamsey

Feeling the Heat
Jan 3, 2014
CT
Currently we have a Jotul C550 Rockland that does fine except when we get the below 30 Degrees. It will raise the house a couple of degrees enough to keep the furnace off. Above 30 and with some oversite it raises the temps 5 or 6 degrees and the house is comfortable. Thinking about a PE Alderlea T5. Hoping that when the cast iron heats up it will radiant out and warm the house up better. Not sure about this though. Seems like the firebox in the PE is smaller (21. vs 2.3) but has more btu output. Not sure about that either.

So would this be an upgrade or not? We have a pretty open floor plan with a cathedral ceiling. A summit would be nice but I would have to do major work to the floor and fireplace to get it fit.

Another question about the hearth: As stated in the manual: "Fireplace hearth requirements: (Measured without the insert) The non-combustible fireplace hearth must be raised 2” above an adjacent combustible floor and extend 16” in front and 8” beyond each side of the existing fireplace opening. A non-combustible hearth that extends a minimum 23-1/2” in front of the fireplace opening may be flush to an adjacent combustible floor.
We have a flush floor so do I need 23 1/2" protection to keep it flush or does it still need to be raised? Way I read it I need 23 1/2" just want to make sure due to the wording.

Last edited:
I doubt the T5 would be enough of an upgrade to make the purchase worthwhile. There are only so many BTU in a given amount of wood. Maybe you can increase the heat output of the C550. Do you have a block-off plate? Would there be room to install some insulation behind the insert (if it is at an exterior wall)? Do you have ceiling fans to stratify the heat?

You're not going to get any more heat from the T5. You want o look at the Summit or something else in 3cf or larger firebox size.
You will be in the same boat with the T5.

What is your house setup? Size and insulation wise? Stove is upstairs? or Downstairs/basement?

One thing you definitely would want to consider as already mentioned is going with a much larger stove 3-4 cuft in firebox size. The bigger the better. A Englander NC30 could be an inexpensive alternative with a huge firebox.

If the house is drafty or poor insulation that can also go a long way to making a current smaller stove more acceptable. 1) weather strip around main doors, 2) making sure windows are well sealed, 3) making sure you don't have any cold drafts coming in through electrical outlets, 4) Adding more insulation to the attic.

Better to spend money on either tightening up the house with insulation, windows, etc. or go bigger. Until they invent magic solid fuel the only way to get more heat from a wood stove is to feed it more wood. BTU's wont change so another stove with a similar fire box will produce similar heat no matter what the manufacturer specs say.

Status
Not open for further replies.