Upgrading to a bigger stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dogdayz

Jan 30, 2022
New York
Hi-I'm new here. I am looking to size up from the current Morso 7110 which came with my house. While it's very cute, and gives off decent heat, the firebox size is frustrating and limiting. I need something that can handle larger cuts and will burn longer. The house is single story, about 1400sf, upstate NY. I'm looking at PE Neo 2.5, Alderlea T5, and Quadrafire Discovery . The look of the stove is important to me. Any thoughts on these? PE seems very well regarded. My old house had a quadrature which was a beast (in a good way). Thanks!

I have a Woodstock Fireview that I'm really happy with - I'm in the Hudson Valley, with about 1500 sq ft. I really like the side-loading for easy reloads, and I haven't had any issues getting overnight burns. It's a somewhat unique looking stove - I wanted something pretty since it would be in the middle of my living room. Not sure if that's the aesthetic you're going for, but it's a great stove!

Thanks! I love the look of a bunch of their stoves but have no experience with catalytic stoves. Are you finding it easy to use? Did you install yourself or get a local installer? I'm in the Hudson Valley too.

This is my first year with it, and I've found it very easy to use! Pretty much just wait for the flue probe thermometer to hit the active range, then engage the cat and close down the air, which usually takes about 10 - 15 minutes on a reload. I got a local installer to hook it up (I picked it up from the factory myself), although I had to call around quite a bit - most folks only wanted to install stoves that they were a dealer for (not for any nefarious reasons - it seems like they've had bad experiences with people buying really cheap low quality stoves and then getting mad at the installer for it not working well). I did finally talk one shop into doing it after they were convinced it was a quality stove - if you're near Dutchess County, I can DM you their name (they do great work, at least as far as I can tell, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post business names here).

How well insulated is your home? How open is the floor plan? PE stoves are good heaters and something in the 2cu ft range like the T5 should do well. The question is how well the heat will move away from the stove. Stoves are space heaters. They do best heating the room they are in, and don't heat far rooms anywhere near as well.

This is my first year with it, and I've found it very easy to use! Pretty much just wait for the flue probe thermometer to hit the active range, then engage the cat and close down the air, which usually takes about 10 - 15 minutes on a reload. I got a local installer to hook it up (I picked it up from the factory myself), although I had to call around quite a bit - most folks only wanted to install stoves that they were a dealer for (not for any nefarious reasons - it seems like they've had bad experiences with people buying really cheap low quality stoves and then getting mad at the installer for it not working well). I did finally talk one shop into doing it after they were convinced it was a quality stove - if you're near Dutchess County, I can DM you their name (they do great work, at least as far as I can tell, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post business names here).
Thanks! I'd love your installer's info. I'm in Southern Columbia Co so it could work. I had eliminated Woodstock Stoves earlier just because I found it nearly impossible in the past to find someone willing to install a stove they didn't sell. Thanks again-I really appreciate your help.

How well insulated is your home? How open is the floor plan? PE stoves are good heaters and something in the 2cu ft range like the T5 should do well. The question is how well the heat will move away from the stove. Stoves are space heaters. They do best heating the room they are in, and don't heat far rooms anywhere near as well.
It's a fairly well insulated single story bungalow--New fiberglass in the bedrooms and new sprayed foam in living, dining, kitchen. I figured that a few fans could move the air into the bedrooms in the back. I don't mind the bedrooms being cooler. Ideally I'd like something I can load up in a power outage (which is not uncommon around here) and not have to come home to re-fill it every hour or two. The Morso burns hot and fast, even dialed down, and the super small firebox is really limiting. Thanks for your thoughts!

OK, I know your area well, lol.

I imagine the fans will be important for moving the cold air to the stove.

Be sure to put a lot of wood up. Bigger stoves will want much more fuel than your smaller one. Lots of the dense wood around here is going to want a couple years of drying for best results.

Reactions: dogdayz
OK, I know your area well, lol.

I imagine the fans will be important for moving the cold air to the stove.

Be sure to put a lot of wood up. Bigger stoves will want much more fuel than your smaller one. Lots of the dense wood around here is going to want a couple years of drying for best results.
I settled on the T5. It comes tomorrow :)

Reactions: stoveliker