Upgrading to an Accentra insert - install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim_M

Burning Hunk
Hearth Supporter
Mar 28, 2010
Halifax, NS
I just put a deposit down on an 8 year old Accentra insert, hoping to pick it up in the next week or so. It will be replacing my Whitfield Profile 30. Because my fireplace opening is only 20" high I need to have 2 rows of brick removed and the lintel (not sure if I spelled that right) raised to accommodate the Accentra. I've talked to a brick mason and he says it's not a big deal, he does it all the time. (He's WETT certified, but mainly deals with wood stoves.)

I'm hoping that once that's done it won't be too difficult to have him modify the existing vent pipe to connect the Accentra. It should be just a matter of shortening the 4" flex a bit, since the Whitfield vents from the bottom whereas the Accentra from the top. And I'm hoping I can take it from there. I've been studying the installation manual, but it's a bit confusing in places. I think once I get the unit home in my garage and have a chance to look it over closely it will make more sense. Do any of you Accentra owners or installers have any comments or tips, things to look out for, avoid, etc?

On a related note, what would be a fair price to ask for my Whitfield? I'm not sure of the age, but it works well, incl the ignitor. I was thinking around $800. Is that too high?

I think condition would delegate the price of your stove and it's age but I think your in a good range to start with at hough I'm no expert on that at all.check all requirements on venting in the manuall for the harman and make sure all connections on vent are sealed and I think you will be fine. Should be an easy connect for you

Status
Not open for further replies.