1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Upland 17, safe and ethical to resell?

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Bushfire, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Bushfire

Bushfire Member

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    I'm updating a three season room and am planning on replacing the existing stove (Upland 17) with something newer. As such, I'm thinking of selling the Upland 17. I know nothing about the stove other than what is here on the wiki, so my question is whether it is ethical and/or safe to sell such an old stove. If so, what do people think would be a good selling price? I've attached a few pictures to show condition. I never used the stove as we only bought the house this past April.

Any thoughts/insight would be greatly appreciated. This site was super useful to me back during my time in CT when I had an insert and wood stove, but have since spent 5 years without a stove in KS.

Thanks!

IMG_2120.jpg IMG_2119.jpg IMG_2118.jpg IMG_2117.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Ethical and safe to sell . . . my opinion . . . yes. Just be up front with any buyers that it is an older, non-EPA stove (I assume) and if there are any problems. As for a price . . . I have no idea. Maybe check the local craigslist ads to see what woodstoves of that size and vintage are being sold for -- or rather what price folks are asking.

You never know . . . someone may be down on their luck or looking for a stove to run in their hunting cabin, greenhouse, etc.
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    If the stove is in good shape no ethics involved. Closer to cold weather it might bring four hundred or so.
  4. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Dunno 'bout PA, but in Oregon it would not be legal to sell or install that stove.
  5. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    WA as well. You would be breaking a law by selling it, the buyer breaking a law by buying it, and heaven forbid it gets installed as that would be another law. Ethics? What's that?
    fossil likes this.
  6. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    Our states out here have thoughtfully freed us of any such ethical quandaries. :rolleyes:
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    It's a great little stove. Upland's equivalent to the Jotul 602. If legal in your state I'd sell it for about $300, $400 if you wait until October and think that's ethical.
  8. bmblank

bmblank Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    You can always sell it as a decorative piece. It looks cool, hooked up to a flue or not. What the buyer does is beyond your control.
  9. Bushfire

Bushfire Member

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Thanks for all the advice/thoughts. How would I find out if its a legal stove in PA. I'd certainly only well if it were legal to do so. My hope was simply making a little to put toward a new stove, a small Morso or Regency alterra stove.
  10. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Nostalgia beckons.
    I'll give ya $95 for the sucker - only problem is that you have to hold it for me until I can get a friend (or me, on my travels) to pick it up......or, if you are headed up to CT for any visits I can meet you (it fits easily in a corner of a car trunk with the legs off).
    (I will pay now)

It will make a fine table for my sunroom....

But, if you want to get rid of it quicker, craigslist or ebay should do the job.....
  11. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Hrmm.. maybe webbie is on to something.. a drone that can be used to smoke screen...
  12. lethal dose

lethal dose Member

Loc:
    eastern ohio
    I'd LOVE to have that stove. Would fit my needs perfectly.
  13. Bushfire

Bushfire Member

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Lethal dose, unfortunately I've already found a buyer. Good luck with your hunt.
  14. lethal dose

lethal dose Member

Loc:
    eastern ohio
    No problem! Glad you were able to make a sale. Let me know if the deal falls through.