Uploading photos

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Vent time............
The new forum is either not satellite internet user friendly for uploading photos, or I just don't know. I have had nothing but problems with uploading photos with 90% "error" failure rate. This really blows!
That is all.................

There is a leak at the nuke blocking the sat signal. >>

You don't have enough tattoos...there's a minimum ink-covered surface area required for access approval.

I think that must be waved for pics of dogs, cats and sheds. :confused:

;lol Yeah, must be.

Before I turn this in for tech support:

What browser? Have you tried different browsers? Do you have more than one computer? Tried others?

Just trying to ID the problem as close as possible.

Yes it gives an error window that pops up. I am using Firefox 13.0
Never had the problem with the old forum.
Happens whether I try to upload one, or several.

Here is a print screen of the error test.jpg

file size is 97.1 kb
Gave me the error, but I clicked thumbnail and it loaded. Tried that before with no luck.

same issue with Google Chrome

file size is 97.1 kb
Gave me the error, but I clicked thumbnail and it loaded. Tried that before with no luck.

I don't think this is the browser. That image may be too large for a test. Try something a tenth that file size.

Did you try the speed test? That will tell you your upload speed. If it's ridiculously low then that is likely the issue. FWIW, a friend of mine living up north in the boonies was going to sign up with WildBlue but his neighbors were having so many issues that he ended up going with Verizon's 3G. That seems to be working pretty reliably for them. They don't have WildBlue Excede service up there and they reported upload was 256k at best.

One thing you might have closely checked is the sat dish alignment. If not good you will notice it with slow uploads first.

I upload photos to salvage sites I use for work with the pics being in the 40-102 kb range with no problems.
The bar goes to 100 instantly, then a pause 10-15 seconds, then the error screen.
Speed test results: 1.7Mps d/l / .08Mps u/l

Just tried to upload a 21.7 kb file, no go

Ok, just tested on testmy.net 2x, fairly consistent
arrow-down-doubleM.png
Download :: 1.5 Mbps 194 kB/s
arrow-up-doubleM.png
Upload :: 118 Kbps 15 kB/s
Not the greatest, but for satellite it is about what I have been getting since getting satellite in 2006. I never had any issues uploading pics in the old version of the forums.

Yeah, as you know that .08 MPS is too slow for just about anything!

The old forum did not use a flash uploader and some other newer conventions which this one does.....so it makes sense that it worked there.

Just for fun, have you tried turning off the rich text editor? It's worth a shot - you do that in your prefs.

Might be worth asking the XF folks if there is a buffer timeout limit on upload that can be extended. In the meantime hog, you can email me any picture you want posted. Include the thread url so that I get it to the right one.

Nope tried a small one at 28.1 no go. Turned off rich text editor. Sill no go. I don't get while it works once in a while, and not other(most) the time. 118 KBPs should be plenty

Good thought. Unplug (not just switch off) the sat router for a minute and the local router too if you have an additional router connected. Also, if there is an in between router, maybe try connecting directly to the sat router to see if that fixes the issue?

No sat router, sat modem with lynksys router between it and the comp. I unplugged both, booted up modem, then router, no change. Actually tried that before I started bitching.
Strange thing is, when I click to upload, the bar goes to 100%, but never loads the photo and then that error window pops up. Wonder why the meter goes to 100%, but the photo never loads?

Hogz - are your running Win7?
And Craig, can you either confirm or deny that the popup box, when it errors out is from the forum software. I only ask, because the pop looks like it could be from either windowz or the forum. Knowing where it comes from will be half the battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.