US King pellet stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jdesmaris

Oct 7, 2014
Northern Michigan
I am somewhat new to pellet stoves. Until last year, I heated with wood (for 40 years). So, a little bit of a learning curve. I bought a US King pellet stove last year at Tractor Supply. Model 5502M. It has worked much better then I expected. No problems once I got used to cleaning it once a week. Well, no issues except it does not work well if put put on the lowest heat setting. I am now looking at getting another. One for in the house and one in a barn. I went back to Tractor Supply and now they are selling a model KP130 stove. It looks near the same as the 5502M. My plan was to have two stoves the same model. This way, I might get some spare parts to have on hand in case something fails. Now - with two different models - I have no idea what parts fit both? I am worried that in a few years, no new parts will be available. I called the company and so far - even they do not seem to know. Also no PDF manuals to be found so far for the newer KP130. For the 5502M, yes. Considering I got no answer so far from the company, I wonder if they actually design it here, or let the Chinese do it?

Manual is vague at best for this stove. I found in one of these forums a setting not mentioned about pellet usage. Adjustable. I am not happy with the air wash at all. Glass gets dirty within hours of new or cleaning.

most pellet stoves generally get dirty glass within hours of cleaning its a trait that comes with the appliance. now how dirty and the color of the debris may be a problem or not. if its fly ash or smokey white, that would be a normal good burning fire and its gonna be that way. if it is sooty and black that is an indicator of a poor burn, lazy orange flame that does not have enough air and would need to be addressed. i could take some time to adjuist things to get it just right but making small changes 1 at a time you can dial them in.

Reactions: FirepotPete
most pellet stoves generally get dirty glass within hours of cleaning its a trait that comes with the appliance. now how dirty and the color of the debris may be a problem or not. if its fly ash or smokey white, that would be a normal good burning fire and its gonna be that way. if it is sooty and black that is an indicator of a poor burn, lazy orange flame that does not have enough air and would need to be addressed. i could take some time to adjuist things to get it just right but making small changes 1 at a time you can dial them in.
Definitely smokey white with a good flame. This is new to me since swapping out the wood burner last week. So far I'm questioning the change lol. Other than not missing hauling firewood anymore.

Figured it took me 3 seasons to dial in a wood stove and figure out its nuances, this will also. Thanks for the help.
You might want to search the forums,or call USSC,they made a bunch where they put gasket at the bottom of the glass,yet was supposed to be open,for glass air wash.