US Stove 8500 Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KESinger

Mar 10, 2016
Michigan
I purchased a US Stove 8500 Pellet Furnace about a year and a half ago. It ran great for about a month, then it started to give me partially-burned pellets and a lot of sooting. I have pages of emails back and forth with US Stove that had me do everything from replace all the flex ducting with rigid ducting to extending the vent stack above the facia of the house to building a jumper wire and bypassing the pressure switch. Long story short, they sent me a new furnace in May. I didn't light the furnace until late November and again, it ran great for about a month then the same thing. I finally got them to send out a technician, who showed up with a laundry list of things to look for that I had done wrong to cause this issue. When none of those problems checked out, the technician was stumped.

I went about a month before I contacted US Stove. At that point, the response that I got was that the furnace is burning correctly, and that the issue is a lack of combustion air. I was instructed to install a passive air system. Now, this furnace is sitting in an 1800 square foot basement that is connected to a 600 square foot crawl space and a 1000 square foot garage. The specs on the passive air system I looked at indicates it provides a flow rate of 18 cfm. I'm having a hard time understanding how an additional 18 cfm will make the difference, especially since the size of the combustion air intake isn't changing - I could have it sitting outside and it still would only draw so much air in at a time.

In addition to my issues with poor burning and sooting is an accumulation of saw dust in the cabinet where the electronics and the draft fan is located. Any ideas of explanations of why a small addition of air will be the magic bullet. Thanks for your time.

Do you have an outside air kit hooked up?? If not get on it!

What is your cleaning routine? I usually have to clean all my internal exhaust passages and venting every month. Are you doing the same? Cleaning is the #1 issue with poor performance...

Saw dust in the cabinet? A pile or accumulation everywhere? I screen my pellets for the stove to reduce dust but it doesn't eliminate it. When I do the internal exhaust cleaning, I also vacuum out the interior cabinet...

The OAK, what size pipe does it need and where is it located? The manual is pretty silent and the exploded view isn't much help...

Do you have an outside air kit hooked up?? If not get on it!

What is your cleaning routine? I usually have to clean all my internal exhaust passages and venting every month. Are you doing the same? Cleaning is the #1 issue with poor performance...

Saw dust in the cabinet? A pile or accumulation everywhere? I screen my pellets for the stove to reduce dust but it doesn't eliminate it. When I do the internal exhaust cleaning, I also vacuum out the interior cabinet...
I clean the stove weekly - shutting it down and vacuuming out the fire chamber, including removing the panels to the left and right of the fire pot. I vacuum the top portion of the fire chamber and brush the top, sides and door to remove any sooting. I remove the ash tray and the cleanout located behind the tray and vacuum that area as well Every other week I remove the clean outs for the vent pipe and brush the pipe as best I can. After brushing, I connect my leaf blower from the shop vac to the pipe and blow out the pipes. The filter is changed approximately two times/month and the boot for the filter as well as the cabinet where the draft fan is located is vacuumed weekly.

I do not have the outside air kit installed. Does it connect to the furnace somehow or does it just let ambient air into the basement?

As far as saw dust goes, I built a cleaner that is connected to my shop vac and each bag gets vacuumed prior to dumping into the hopper. The dust mainly accumulates directly below the auger, but it will spread somewhat throughout the cabinet.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.