Use gas logs in a coal burning fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

anesbitt

Hearth Supporter
Sep 19, 2009
Central Texas
My home was built in 1905, and I'm told the fireplace is coal-burning. We had vented gas logs installed a year ago, and have never used them for more than 20 minutes because of the awful smell that completely fills the house when they are burning. The dealer that installed the gas logs tells me that the logs themselves should not produce an odor. I've purchased a CO detector that doesn't pick up any kind of problem. Could something be burning on the inside of the chimney that is causing this smell? Is it even possible to use gas logs in a coal-burning fireplace? If not, what are my options for some sort of fire or embers - just for ambience, not heat? Any help is greatly appreciated!!

The gas logset should have instructions on minimum fireplace opening size and flue size. I would see if your fireplace meets these requirements.

Also, did they lock the damper fully open. or do you have to open it manually when using it?

Yes, the size of the firebox meets the size recommendations for the gas logs. The damper is completely open too. I am so anxious to fix this problem before the winter arrives. I am hesitant to burn the gas logs until I can figure out what might be causing the odor, and if they are safe to burn in a coal burning fireplace (I've learned that coal burning chimneys are much smaller than wood burning chimneys.) Thanks for your help!

The gas logs we sell also have a tables with minimum damper opening area in square inches compared to the chimney height. Have you checked if your sets meets this requirement also? Since the coal fireplace has a smaller flue, its possible it does not meet this requirement.

If you tell me the BTU of your gas log, the height of the chimney and the size of your flue opening I can compare it to our log set tables and see what I come up with.

describe the odor. even if it sounds dumb, what does it smell like? burning paint. rotten eggs. plastic burning. also see if you can post a picture of the setup. did the install use black pipe for the gas run or that yellow jacketed pipe?

see if you can take a peek up the chimney. can you see daylight? maybe a tile broke and is blocking the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.