Used Breckwell Big E w/pipe worth $700?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smoke show

Just like the title states.
looking for something for the basement.
I recall some heat output complaints.
Just trying to decide if its worth the trip to look at.

I have had a Big E in my unfinished basement for approx 8 years and really have had no major issues. The only heat issue I have had I would blame on the type of pellet being used not the stove, all pellets are not the same! 99.9 % of all my complaints with this stove I can now attribute to junk pellets! Replacement parts are pricey but I would guess it's the same for all stoves. Not a bad price but I would want to be sure stove is in good working order. As for the piping I would pay attention to how it was installed compared to how you will install it. I believe these stoves are rated for 2200 sq feet. I use the stove 24/7 during the winter months with basement temp averaging around 72 degrees on # 2 setting. I would say it's worth a look.....

yes, its still hooked up and functional.
so I can see it run.

I haven't heard any complaints about the Breckwell Big E as far as heat output. It's a large pellet stove. That seems like a good price if it's in good shape and you can see that it runs OK. Keep in mind you may need some different pieces of pipe for your installation.

Make sure they have cleaned and maintained it is a positive way. I had to replace my control board last year, it was 5 years old. It is a pretty easy stove to work on , the fans/ blowers are easy to get to to clean or replace, and if your handy at all , the stove is user friendly, well at least mine has been.

I went and looked at it last nite.

Turns out he has two for sale.

A 2006 with no ash pan for $600 w/pipe.

A 2008 with ash pan for $700 w/pipe.

The guy has 3 total for a 4200 sq ft single story.

Roasts 12 ton a year :bug:

Anyway I'm considering offering $500 for the older one.

Seem to remember quality issues with newer ones.

Also the heat output issue I was refering to is the inability to run on hi for any length of time.

They say not to run on #5 setting for a long time, I ran mine on manual #3 and the heat almost killed me, It was in Feb with 15-25 degree weather. Almost got my house to 100 drgrees. If you run it on High /Low #1-#3 or #2-#4 I think you will be all right, high/low setting needs a programable stat to work correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.