Used combustors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stelcom66

Minister of Fire
Nov 6, 2014
Connecticut
The used Vermont Castings stove I bought came with a couple of used combustors. Would they be of any use, could they be cleaned for re-use? I also wonder when it's time to replace one, don't know if I need to remove the top of the stove to inspect it.

The combustor is replaced when it no longer performs well. If the cat is able to hold a good high temp then it's probably fine.

Dutchwest cats are typically burned out but still in decent looking shape. The other VC cats are almost always at least distorted to the point that they don't go back go back into their chamber easily. Typically they are falling apart as well.
Did you ask how long they were in use?

Dutchwest cats are typically burned out but still in decent looking shape. The other VC cats are almost always at least distorted to the point that they don't go back go back into their chamber easily. Typically they are falling apart as well.
Did you ask how long they were in use?
I'll try to find out how long they were in use. They only look slightly discolored, assuming a new one is white. Otherwise, they appear to be intact.

The ceramic substrate is white but the wash coat that contains the catalyst metals is a tan color. All you can do is try them and see if they work. If they are sluggish you could try simmering them in the white vinegar/distilled water solution. http://www.condar.com/combustorcleaningmanual.pdf
You can put your stove model in your signature so that when you post, people familiar with your stove can comment. Looks like a Dutchwest 2461 or 2462? I just put in a DuraFoil steelie from Woodstock (made for older Palladian stoves), 6 x 2". It's working great. I can light it off with the cat probe down around "0° F" or even below the temp marks. Probably a little higher and I could get an instant glow...takes a minute or so from the lower temps.

Last edited:
The ceramic substrate is white but the wash coat that contains the catalyst metals is a tan color. All you can do is try them and see if they work. If they are sluggish you could try simmering them in the white vinegar/distilled water solution. http://www.condar.com/combustorcleaningmanual.pdf
You can put your stove model in your signature so that when you post, people familiar with your stove can comment. Looks like a Dutchwest 2461 or 2462? I just put in a DuraFoil steelie from Woodstock (made for older Palladian stoves), 6 x 2". It's working great. I can light it off with the cat probe down around "0° F" or even below the temp marks. Probably a little higher and I could get an instant glow...takes a minute or so from the lower temps.
Thanks for the combustor document, a good reference to have and the other information as well. You know your stoves! It's a Dutchwest 2461. Larger than I really need for my size house, but very satisfied with the purchase. Last evening I probably put in more wood than I needed, almost opened a window.

I will add the model to my signature. I'm not familiar with the DuraFoil product, I'll look that up.

You know your stoves! It's a Dutchwest 2461.
Well, I know that one, since I have his little brother. ==c
I'm not familiar with the DuraFoil product, I'll look that up.
It's not really specified or talked about in the literature. What I know about the steel cats was learned from reading here. I believe Clariant, formerly Sud Chemie, makes the DuraFoil...not sure if they are the only one. I've had a couple from Condar that I've used in different stove, the "diesel foil" type, and they tended to shrivel when subjected to high heat over a period of time, and the fit in the frame got loose. I worked around the problem and they worked OK but I'm hoping the DuraFoil will hold up better over the long haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.