Used Esse stove Install in new house...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rastis

Oct 6, 2016
Wyoming
Greetings everyone.

First post on the forum. Been hunting the interweb for all necessary info and specs for installing an ESSE Ironheart into my new home.

Here's a bit of the run down... Cathedral style ceiling, planning on offsetting 6" stove pipe 9-12" from roof peak, (going 12" will make my 6" stove pipe die right on 18", or where my first interior truss sits....) maintaining 2" clearance from combustable's around trusses for "attic" support box, using double wall pipe for interior and fabricated heat shield that attaches directly to stove from supplier called Obidiahs. Looking at 9" clearance from combustable dry wall to back edge of wood stove with heat shield between. Supplier says 9" is adequate with heat shield, so everything from floor up seems good to go.

My question of biggest concern right now is the idea of using hot rolled steel as a hearth pad. Has anyone used it before and if so, did you use durarock between steel and subfloor? or any sort of airspace between steel and other materials? and what was your fastening process for steel to underlaying material? screws for subfloor and thinset to durarock?

Thanks for any info...

Winters coming

Greetings. I have an older manual for the Ironheart. The new Esse manual on Obidiah's is pretty poor on clearances and hearth protection. It says the stove needs 400mm (15.7") Get the rear clearance variation in writing from the supplier and be sure it clearly states the design for the heat shield. My guess is that they are talking about an NFPA wall shield. If so it needs to be open top and bottom and usually is only a reduction to 12". Here is what is in the older (2004) manual. It doesn't mention rear clearance reduction for US installation but does allow it for Canada. The hearth requirement will need Durock under the steel. The sheet and cement board could be held captive with a ramped border made of base shoe molding or predrill the steel for screw holes.
Screen Shot 2016-10-06 at 6.51.48 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.