Used Harmon P43

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dmev13

Jul 20, 2019
Long Island, Ny
Hello I’m looking at a used Harmon p43 stove. They are asking 3000. The lady said it was her moms stove that she barely used. She is moving to a different house that has a wood burning fireplace and doesn’t want to take the P43 with her. It also comes with a hearth and connection kit.

Is 3000 a fair asking price?
Are there any major issues with the P43 I should be concerned with before purchasing?

Thanks for all the input. It’s greatly appreciated.

A fair price for a year or two old unit
but for that kind of money would want to see it running!

1 No such thing as a Harmon
2 Go by the date on the sticker on the back,not what they say
3 Known problem- you will love it
4 I think they are crazy to get rid of a Harman,in todays economy, with the propbable econimic crash coming end of 2022.

Hello I’m looking at a used Harmon p43 stove. They are asking 3000. The lady said it was her moms stove that she barely used. She is moving to a different house that has a wood burning fireplace and doesn’t want to take the P43 with her. It also comes with a hearth and connection kit.

Is 3000 a fair asking price?
Are there any major issues with the P43 I should be concerned with before purchasing?

Thanks for all the input. It’s greatly appreciated.
New they are $4000 so if it's working well with the hearth pad and pipes, $3000 isn't bad. And I thought the $2700 I bought mine for new in 2013 was steep.

sam

If only a year or two old, that is a fair price. But as someone else stated, go by the sticker on the back of the stove to make sure. My thought is that there is almost no way someone could have used it enough in 1-2 years to create any issues with the stove itself. May need a good cleaning, but no parts would have worn out nor could it have gotten really rusty (unless stored in a pond).

Depending on the length of exhaust, the connection kit itself could be a couple hundred $ if bought separately, and to buy a new hearth pad isn't cheap either.

however, just because you can, ask for a lower price, maybe $2700. Worst they can do is say is no. If that is the answer, then pony up the $3k.

Reactions: ABusWrench
If only a year or two old, that is a fair price. But as someone else stated, go by the sticker on the back of the stove to make sure. My thought is that there is almost no way someone could have used it enough in 1-2 years to create any issues with the stove itself. May need a good cleaning, but no parts would have worn out nor could it have gotten really rusty (unless stored in a pond).

Depending on the length of exhaust, the connection kit itself could be a couple hundred $ if bought separately, and to buy a new hearth pad isn't cheap either.

however, just because you can, ask for a lower price, maybe $2700. Worst they can do is say is no. If that is the answer, then pony up the $3k.
Thanks for the all the info. I attached two pictures the seller sent. She said it’s a direct vent.

35B0E731-BE60-4B53-BCB8-0971691EA6DD.png 5FD61635-4384-45A5-AC84-F3A27090946D.png

The outside looks to be in good shape. It is at least a newer stove since it has the reflective glass (my 2012 does not have that). Ooh, it has the decorative scene too, that is worth another couple hundred $$. Black pipe also goes for higher $$ than standard silver. The two 45* go for about $60 each, and the 12" pipe goes for about $50. There should be another pipe that goes thru the wall as well as a termination - neither of which are pictured.

I'm not sure if there is an outside air kit (OAK) so if you chose to go that route and it's not there, that is a minor additional cost at $15. If you put in an OAK, I highly recommend using 3" flex pipe and not 2".

There doesn't appear to be a thimble (although the stove may not be by the wall it was mounted at), which you will need for safety purposes. Those can be fairly cheap without an OAK ($50), to more expensive with an OAK ($150-200).

I would say the stove and accessories are worth the price. I wouldn't set on it too long, with long lead times for pellet stoves right now, there may be others ready to jump on it.

So have you had any experience with a pellet stove ? Seen one being used? Know anyone that has one ? Company that sells or services them locally ?? Yes they are direct vent, straight out the wall, doable, but not always the best way to vent them. Download the owners manual and look it over. Install, clearances, venting, maintenance, etc...Like mentioned above it may not last for sale long..

3K doesn't sound bad to me if I needed one. I bought mine in 2012 and had $4200 in it delivered installed, raised pad, 2 ton of pellets.
Knowing what I know now if I was looking for another one and found that I would be talking to them to see if there is a deal to be made.
I would want to see it working also, but can't imagine much of anything being wrong with it. It looks to have been taken care of .

Reactions: dmev13
So have you had any experience with a pellet stove ? Seen one being used? Know anyone that has one ? Company that sells or services them locally ?? Yes they are direct vent, straight out the wall, doable, but not always the best way to vent them. Download the owners manual and look it over. Install, clearances, venting, maintenance, etc...Like mentioned above it may not last for sale long..

I have been reading the install manual over the last couple days. And have one question on the clearances…. Pictures below for reference and to help explain.

My house has a bump out to create a bay window. The bump out in turn creates an inside corner. When it comes to the clearance specs how far does the exhaust for the stove need to be away from bump out wall? The red dot shows where we plan to exhaust the stove.

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you !!

Please disregard all the leaves and debris. We are in the process of redoing the back yard and some type of crushed stone will be used to create landscaping beds!!

B08CB390-E069-4916-8C6B-5FEC5B8FF832.jpeg A49D62C0-9D27-4CBA-851C-E6AE4ED875AE.jpeg 0E468CF4-4650-4858-AB40-2B8EF1FD3E8C.jpeg

The clearance pictures of your manual clearly shows 36 inches
In the semi-circle from the outlet

I think that they mean that any combustible surface has to be 36 inches
from the where the outlet is facing
If your outlet turned 90 deg the wall would have to be 36 inches away
But the final word would have to come from the installation
inspector . If you need an inspection where you live.

How far out does that wall come off of the wall from your outlet? Could you extend your vent pipe out past the wall, and the turn down away from the wall?

How far out does that wall come off of the wall from your outlet? Could you extend your vent pipe out past the wall, and the turn down away from the wall?
4-5 feet…. I’m most likely going to move the stove over to accomplish the 36 inches from the inside corner. We have two double hung windows that I was trying to stay away from but with an outside air kit the vent just needs to be 12 inches from the window.

4-5 feet…. I’m most likely going to move the stove over to accomplish the 36 inches from the inside corner. We have two double hung windows that I was trying to stay away from but with an outside air kit the vent just needs to be 12 inches from the window.
Disregard all the toys.

F381A6E4-667E-48A0-A0F1-AF0BB13CEBBB.jpeg

Mine goes out directly under a window. The dealer installed it and said I should not have a problem. I also have a OAK installed.

No, on some answers others have given. The 36" semi circle is at the ground level. You need 12" from that outside "inside" corner. And you will want some vertical pipe also.
1645394528334.png