Q&A used Jotul 8/VC Intrepid II

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We are considering buying a used Jotul 8 from a local store. It is standard black, and 5 years old. They are asking $600.

Coincidentally I found out a friend I know has a Jotul 8 that's about 1 1/2 years old. He said he has to leave the converter(?) open for a long time to get things going. It also happens that he didn't buy from the store I am working with, but asked them why his stove was acting this way. They said it was a know problem on the Jotul 8 and was fixed on the newer models.

Newer? his is only a 1 1/2 years old. The one we are looking at buying was manufactured in 1993, could it have the same problem, and have you heard of the Jotul 8 having this problem?

He also mentioned that the stove works fine once he gets things going, but complained that it is difficult to load because the converter is in the way.

One more question, I found a used VC Intrepid II on the web. It is less than a year old, and custom colored. The folks who just bought the house have no need for it. The are asking $900.00 for stove and flu (xcel 103 # 3 chimney?). They have the receipts from the old owners.

Considering the above, what we are trying to do is replace an old worn out pot belly stove. Our house is about 1700 sqf, but not easily heated (many rooms/turns). In order to heat our house, we usually "crank" up the pot belly stove, getting the dining room it is in up into the 90's so the living room will stay around 65 - 70 degrees. We also have a fire place insert that we aren't using because our chimney terracotta brick is not lined (yet, we just bought last year and are trying to get other areas of the house in shape).

Should we get one large stove for the house and suffer from heat stroke in one room, or fix the chimney, buy a smaller stove, like the VC Intrepid II and use both the insert and stove, and a lot of wood. By they way we also have an old propane floor heater, but propane is very expensive.

Answer:

No knowing the exact layout of your home, it's difficult to say whether one or two stoves would be needed. My first suggestion would always be to try and do with one, since it is difficult to keep two stoves going at all times. The Jotul 8 that you mention, along with some other catalytic models, can have drafting problems, especially in shorter or colder chimneys. The Intrepid II is also catalytic and will need a decent draft. Price wise, neither is a steal, but they are OK deals. The Intrepid in enamel is about 1300-1400 new, however if the enamel in not important to you then it may not be worth paying extra for. You could find new stoves of small to mid-size for $700 to $1200. Of course, you have to figure in the chimney also. Some stove dealers have better prices than others. I ran a stove for 20 years and bought better than most of my competitors. I was therefore able to sell stoves MUCH cheaper than other shops located nearby. As with anything else, a little shopping might being good savings. Of course, you'll probably burn much less wood, and/or be warmer than you are with your pot belly.

Status
Not open for further replies.