Used Jotul Allagash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Setter Fan

Jan 17, 2014
CT
About to purchase a used Jotul Allagash but was hoping to get some tips on things to look for before making an offer. The unit I am looking at has a crack in the glass, but it looks like it can be replaced for around $122 (seems high for just glass).

The blower also has a small rattle on high, but was not planning on using the fan. Have a jotul wood insert upstairs and the fan does not rattle but still is a bit annoying.

This is going to be a basement install.

Thanks,

Frank

How old is the unit? Does it have a tube burner or a pan burner?
See if you can pull it out & inspect it for warping, burn holes or other damage.
The "glass" Is Pyroceram & is a special type material designed to radiate heat.
It's the same as what's in your wood stove.

Unit is from 2002, asking $600

It looks like a tube burner from picture.

It comes with pipe and outside vent

Ok, now I get why glass is so much.

Thank you
00i0i_9q7SPhYIPEq_600x450.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20151214_154404.jpg
    IMG_20151214_154404.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 190
Thank you, will pick it up tomorrow.

I got an expensive quote from an installer that can vent and run plumbing. $1,100!!

Can anyone give me a ballpark cost of install ($1,100 seems high, even for CT). Needs to go through basement concrete foundation then gas line to existing tank (about 25-30 feet away).

Thanks again

If the venting AND the gas line BOTH go thru concrete, it's quite an effort to punch thru that stuff, especially if it's poured.
Chances are that in the venting hole, there will be a piece of rebar. that will have to be cut with a sawzall or torch.
The gas line will have to be buried 18" deep IIRC, & that's gonna require a 30 foot trench. The entire install, including the
firing up & tuning of the unit will take the better part of a work day. $1100 / 8 = $137.50 per hour. You have to add the gas line, silicone, sawzall blades (or acetylene) into the equation as well. That's actually a lower overhead rate than we used to charge 5 years ago.

That sounds like a great price for the install. I am in massachusetts. Is the unit all ready set up for l.p.? And is this below grade or is it like a walk out basement? The venting you have there new lists for close to what he is asking for everything. It's true there isn't a lot that can go wrong on those, however if yo can't do any of the work like replacing thermocouple, thermo pile, etc and you have to hire someone for that kind of stuff, being a 13 y/o stove, you mind find yourself wishing you bought new. Great stove though I have the b vent version at home.

The unit is set up for propane.

Walk out and will be vented above grade.

Hope it lasts a few years before any repairs are needed. If it has to be replaced with new, I at least have the vent and pipe.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.