Used Napoleon 1900 buy or not?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bourrask

Jan 20, 2024
Québec
"Hello there"

I'm looking at a used Napoelon 1900 for 700$ cad, owner says they only used it one winter but then switched to pellets. Says it is like new. The bricks do look barely used. There only seems to be surface rust or removed paint on top because of spilled water from a kettle or something. Could just sand top and repaint. Also a bit of rust in the pic where you see the door open.

I've never owned a woodstove except my parents's old cookstove, so I know the basics, but these are newer technologies. I find the Napoleon 1900 appealing because they rate it at 3500+ sf in their brochure, and our house is about 1500sf per story. 12 hours burn time also is very convenient.

Thanks for any advice :)

Screenshot_20240120-073507_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20240120-073509_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20240120-073512_Facebook.jpg Screenshot_20240120-073515_Facebook.jpg

It looks ok, but be careful buying used stoves. It’s very possible that they aren’t showing you certain angles and not showing you damage.

Sounds like a plan! Beware of marketing brochures! The 3500 sq feet of home in the Napoleon stove brochure might have been a 3500 sq foot open floor plan home in Florida. A 50 year old partitioned house in Quebec will probably need a lot more heat and maybe only 1500 of it gets heated.

Newer stoves need really dry wood, less than 20% moisture! Burning with higher concentrations can be extremely frustrating! Most firewood sellers do not sell wood dry enough. Get you wood put up yesterday!

Sounds like a plan! Beware of marketing brochures! The 3500 sq feet of home in the Napoleon stove brochure might have been a 3500 sq foot open floor plan home in Florida. A 50 year old partitioned house in Quebec will probably need a lot more heat and maybe only 1500 of it gets heated.

Newer stoves need really dry wood, less than 20% moisture! Burning with higher concentrations can be extremely frustrating! Most firewood sellers do not sell wood dry enough. Get you wood put up yesterday!
My house is about 150 years old, the last owners found 1877 newspaper in the walls when they renovated everything. We're gonna build an extension this summer but keep it pretty open, so heat should move well. That's why the 3800sf of the Roby seems appropriate. The farm next door cuts a lot of fire wood, it'll be easy getting it, I'll make sure to dry it well though and I also have a meter in case of doubt! Originally the house had a central brick chimney but they destroyed it, so right now we only have electric heating. We've had about 6 service interruptions yet this winter, can't wait to burn some things...

The 1900 is a good, big heater and the price is good too, especially with such low hrs.

Be sure to resplit the wood and test in the middle of the freshly exposed face of wood for moisture content. Oak takes a long time to dry internally.

Reactions: Bourrask
The 1900 is a good, big heater and the price is good too, especially with such low hrs.

Be sure to resplit the wood and test in the middle of the freshly exposed face of wood for moisture content. Oak takes a long time to dry internally.
Yeah she's not checking her messages, not sure what's happened to her but it's still not sold. I'm actually looking now at a Roby Ultimate, it's on sale this week at BMR. The added 2 duct exits are a plus.