Used Osburn 2400 insert to possibly buy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ihalmiut

Jan 23, 2016
East central Minnesota
Hi. This is my first post on this forum. We live north of the twin cities and just moved from a home in town to a home out of town on 6 acres and the beautiful Rum River. The setting is gorgeous and it is nice to be living in the woods again, as we once had a small 20 acre tree farm of red pines and room for a few hogs and maple syrup taps! And now we do again!

We moved in October and are really happy for the mild winter. The two fireplaces have cracked flues and are not in service until the liners can be upgraded. We've gone through more propane in 4 months than we did in eight years on the tree farm as we heated there with a Classic outside boiler. I am absolutely serious. The propane company hated us as we only filled or topped off 3 times in eight years!

The lower level has a Blaze King insert that has a rectangular exhaust opening that is open inside to the chimney. I'm not sure of the model year as the sweep put it back in before I had a chance to look at the information plate. It seems odd to have a setup like this. At any rate I am wondering if a rectangular collar to a 6" adapter and liner would be sufficient to bring it up to code? We had the chimneys inspected and swept professionally and were told it was not to code and we might as well look at a Regency for $5800 installed to replace the Blaze King with. (The guy was happy to take away the blaze king and dispose of it for us, on Craigslist I'm sure.) I also found an Osburn 2400 insert from a demolition man. He wants 300 dollars for it and said it was manufactured in 1992. From the pictures it appears to be in good shape, but who knows until a close look can be made. Another question: Is the model 2400 from 1992 the same as the current model 2400, or has their been significant changes to the design?

We are going to put inserts in both the fireplaces. Money is tight, so I am happy to go with a used insert, as long as it is to code and safe and everything. Looking for some good advice from you seasoned inside fireplace people, of which I hope to be one before too long.

Btw, the house is a 1000 square foot rambler with a lower level walkout basement that is 700 finished square feet.

Jay

I also found an Osburn 2400 insert from a demolition man. He wants 300 dollars for it and said it was manufactured in 1992. From the pictures it appears to be in good shape, but who knows until a close look can be made. Another question: Is the model 2400 from 1992 the same as the current model 2400, or has their been significant changes to the design?
If it is a 1992 the Osburn should be a EPA Phase II stove which only recently has been supplanted by Phase III so the technology may not be vastly different from the newest models.

I think I would take a good look at the Blaze King though. If it calls for a 6" liner you can get it up and running and if ever you go ahead and replace it most (many) stoves require a 6" flue so no wasted money there.

Is there a surround you can remove so you can do an inspection? Take some pics while you're at it.

If it is a 1992 the Osburn should be a EPA Phase II stove which only recently has been supplanted by Phase III so the technology may not be vastly different from the newest models.

I think I would take a good look at the Blaze King though. If it calls for a 6" liner you can get it up and running and if ever you go ahead and replace it most (many) stoves require a 6" flue so no wasted money there.

Is there a surround you can remove so you can do an inspection? Take some pics while you're at it.
I was able to wiggle the beast out enough to look at the back and sides. Unfortunately no identification is on it anywhere. I took some photos.
IMG_0024.JPGIMG_0027.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that looks like a real classic. May be a decent old heater that can get you by for a couple years since Blaze King makes a good product. In any case that is an illegal install which will inhibit good performance and is potentially very dangerous.

Search the term slammer here for the potential problems. No matter what you will want to run a full stainless liner. I don't know if that old beast will run on a 6" liner or need an 8". If it needs an 8" I would probably scrap it for sure. Need to get a stove ID for a manual. A Blaze King rep frequents the site and may be able to help with that.

Determining what liner that stove requires is the first step in my mind.

I was able to wiggle the beast out enough to look at the back and sides. Unfortunately no identification is on it anywhere. I took some photos.
That will need a 7" minimum probably 8". And i doubt the sweep would sell that it would probably go for scrap. They are not bad heaters but seriously outdated. If the osburn is in good shape for that price id do it.

Reactions: jatoxico
Thanks for the support Ministers. I did a bit of research and it appears to need an 8" liner, according to chimneysweeponline, formula. I guess I could use it as a preheater for setting stock pots of maple sap on, use it in the shed for a bit of warmth, or just junk it.

holler, I see you've a Regency 3100. What is your house setup like in terms of size, layout, stories, fireplace location, and stuff like that? The guys that swept my chimney swear on the Regency as the best stove ever made! My wood burning experience has been a Classic Outside Boiler, that I burned everything from dry red oak to punk birch and poplar to diseased red pine. I know that won't work in a house. I"m really excited to get these fireplaces going and have a fire I can enjoy seeing and stuff.

holler, I see you've a Regency 3100. What is your house setup like in terms of size, layout, stories, fireplace location, and stuff like that? The guys that swept my chimney swear on the Regency as the best stove ever made! My wood burning experience has been a Classic Outside Boiler, that I burned everything from dry red oak to punk birch and poplar to diseased red pine. I know that won't work in a house. I"m really excited to get these fireplaces going and have a fire I can enjoy seeing and stuff.
Well mine is a freestander in the insulated basement of a 2300 squ ft old house. I easily heat the first floor all the time and the second as well if it is above 20s. We sell regencies and i think they are good stoves but i would never say they were the best stove ever made. They are comperable to quads lopi or other tube stoves. The new hybrid ones from regency seem good so far after they ironed out a few kinks but they are too new to know much yet.

Inspect the Osburn in person. If it is in good condition, no cracks, no warping or signs of overfiring and all parts are in place, I would get it and install it. Worst case scenario if you don't like it would be replacing it with a different insert. If it's in good working condition you will be able to sell it for what you paid for it (or more) at a later date.

Thanks for the advice be green. I think if it is acceptable, I will grab it. I will try to get a few pictures of it for fun. Its pretty hard to tell much from this, but Ill go for a couple hour ride saturday and check it out.
IMAG0469.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for the double post. What are the signs of over firing? When my wife over fires her pottery, Its been a puddle on the kiln shelf, lol. Is it what you just described be green, or is their more to it than warpage, cracks, etc?

Warped inner components, sagging burn tube and paint that has gone light grey or white are indications of overfiring. The door appears ajar or sagging in the picture. Was the door open at the time it was shot?

I see what you're saying about the door. I'll ask the man who has it. In a phone call yesterday, he said it is mint. We'll see. Thanks for the info on what to look for. I will keep you posted.

I've some exciting news. When we bought this place in October, we were excited to have fireplaces up and down. Disappointment got us when the basement chimney was cracked from a chimney fire and the Blaze King insert was way out of date and not to code. Well, yesterday the insurance company agreed to repairs and after the work is all done we'll have a Regency CI2600 both up and down!! I'm hyper excited!! Out of pocket will be roughly $3000. I can't wait to divorce the propane company!! So forget the used Osburn, scrap the Blaze King, and get that 026 Stihl tuned up! Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know folks on this site, and thank you for the valuable information provided already.

Hello Friends,
We have the I2600's installed up and down!!! It's massively cool, or hot that is, depending on perspective... One night I had to throw the covers off and was down to the skivvies. TMI, sorry. We know it is overkill to have two of these inserts in a 2200 sq. foot house, but couldn't pass on the price with insurance helping out and everything.
Anyways, they are broken in, and seasoned now. Can anyone who has this insert comment on keeping the glass maintained for viewing? Its got a fair amount of build up after a couple weeks, and it seems like too much. I definitely had some wet wood a friend gave me that I should not have used as it was a mix of seasoned and not so much, so perhaps that's the reason. Being a veteran of outside boilers, pre tight EPA regs, I need to learn to keep my chimney clean in a way I'm not used to.
Iv'e read quite a bit about the catalytic systems and really enjoy seeing those secondary burns. One of my sons was over and he commented on the dancing fire at the top of the firebox, and how he had never seen a fire act like that.
Anyways, I am so happy to have found this forum and enjoy reading so many posts!

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.