Used Pacific Energy Super Series Insert Opinions(with pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

usner21

Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2009
Eastern PA
I am going to pick up this Pacific Energy Super Series Insert tomorrow used. I am paying $600 for it and it is 5 years old. It has an upgraded blower and everything looks to be in decent shape. I have a 1500 sq ft Bi-Level with my fireplace being in the basement. This thing should heat most of my house I am hoping. I have attached some pics below what do you guys think? Decent deal or what? Opinions on the condition?

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 1,145
Picture of the firebox.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,224
Picture of the blower

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 873
Doesn't look bad at all. Cept for the thick buildup of creosote inside the firebox.
Looks like the previous owner didn't burn it near hot enough.
I'd say, good score. Congrats.
Pull the firebrick and baffle and inspect everything. Looks like you may be good to go.

Am I the only one that thinks it looks like somebody just laid a piece of plate steel in there where the baffle should be?

I agree, looks good. Maybe do some touch-up with stove paint on the front, especially the right (hinge) side of the firebox behind the door. Also, it might be time for door gasket replacement. Give it the old "dollar bill" test--if you can't pull out a dollar bill from the door when it's closed, you're good. Otherwise replace the gasket.

BrotherBart said:
Am I the only one that thinks it looks like somebody just laid a piece of plate steel in there where the baffle should be?

Without seeing the end of it, tough to say. I know Tom stated they used to use steel before switching to s.s.. Not sure what time period though.
Bart brings up a good point. Give us a better photo of that baffle or plate or whatever is up there.

These are pics right from the seller. I will check it out when I pick it up tomorrow. What can I use to get rid of that creosote build up? Can I just scrape/brush it off? So you guys think $600 is a decent deal?

I have a larger size pic of the inside sht of the stove i can email to someone for the baffle view?

BrotherBart said:

Went through the trouble to weld the pin lock back on too? Looks like the baffle to me.

Not the best picture, but it looks like a baffle to me too. My dealer said that they started using stainless steel baffles and side rails around 2004-2005. This one might be an older pre-stainless model. To me it looks older than 5 years. I bought my Pacific Energy Pacific insert in 2005, and it looks a lot different externally than this one.

The side rails look straight. From what I can see of the baffle, it looks to be in alright shape too judging from the amount of deformation. The back rail right tab does not seem to have a straight edge, for whatever reason. Some of the firebricks are cracked, but that isn't a big deal.

Bring a good flashlight and check the internal welds. Also, ask for the manual and get the serial number. It might help to date it. If all is good, go for it!

You can email me the photo, and I can resize & post for you.
As far as the creosote inside, leave it, when you get that puppy up to temp, it will be gone.
Check my profile and see if my email addy is there.

Looks nice, I would get it!
And when you are all ready there with your cash, maybe he'll take a bit less. I sold an old hearthstone to a guy last year who came an hour's drive with cash and a trailer and a friend to load. Naturally I came down $50 for him when he asked... a bird in the hand and all! (and a big heavy smoke dragon OUT of the shed the same weekend I put it on CL, can't really beat that!)
My first car was a volkswagen bug that had been sitting in the driveway down around the corner for years. Dad asked her what she wanted for it and she said $100, my dad (who just can't help himself) asked her if she would take $75. There's a deal and there's a DEAL according to my dad, lol.

The tip-off is the square door. That insert is definitely older than 5 years old. Tom could tell you for sure but I think the arched doors have been in since the mid-late 90's. Make sure the door and latch are in good shape. You can't get parts for the square doors any more. The older baffles were made from mild steel. All in all seems to be in order

Yeah I think PE says that they started the stainless baffles in the mid 90's.

BrotherBart said:
Yeah I think PE says that they started the stainless baffles in the mid 90's.
Really.........that old??? Man, that is in goooood shape!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.