USed PE Spectrum Classic, what to look for

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NSDave

Dec 29, 2011
Halifax NS Canada
I'm considering going to look at a used Spectrum Classic seller isn't sure of age but is guessing 5 years old.

Is there a date code I could check? He's used it as a main heat source; what should I look for in terms of wear and tear?

thanks for any tips!

The obvious stuff - warped rails or baffle, cracked bricks, whitening of paint (lift the trivet and look at the stove top for ashen grey paint). Inspect carefully for cracks around the door frame, airwash diverter. The mfg. date should be at the bottom of the UL label on the back of the stove.

Thanks!

I'm a bit iffy on this as first he didn't know how old it was and now its 5 years old. I'd just as soon not inherit someone Else's stove issues again. He's asking 1400 obo. a new super 27 is around 2100 here plus tax; but might be a good deal to be had.

I will ask him to check for the code.

cheers
Dave

Let us know NS.

Wow, that's a high premium on the new Super 27. They are about $1600 out here. I can understand your reluctance given the price. Can't say I would pay 1400 for the Spectrum unless it was cherry which is unlikely if it has 5+ seasons of 24/7 use. $1k in good condition would probably be my limit.

That's cheap Begreen..I'm paying 2150 just for the Spectrum, with a gold door. Are you talking about internet prices?

Yeah I'm thinking around 1000 for a used one if its in decent shape; It might be worth a look; but if I had and doubts on it I'd walk. I'd just as soon buy new and have that "New stove smell" hehe

neumsky said:
That's cheap Begreen..I'm paying 2150 just for the Spectrum, with a gold door. Are you talking about internet prices?

The Spectrum is a fancier and more expensive stove. Your Spectrum price is great! With gold door that sells for about 2500. And yes, I was referring to Tom's prices @ www.chimneysweeponline.com

I actually thought the classic had more embellishments. Hmmm What is the difference than? They all have the super 27 box. I do believe you will pay more from a local shop. I do believe your also buying service. So it's important even tho your paying more that you pick a reliable personable store. I actually think I'm paying like 700 more for mine instead of going on line.

The firebox is the same, but the wrapping on the Spectrum is quite different. The Super 27 is just sold in basic black paint with no top cover. The Spectrum and the Classic are dressed up in a porcelain skin with top cover and trivet.

Ok...I'm looking at a sales brochure & there is the spectrum classic & the vista classic. To me your actually paying more for the spectrum classic cause the legs & that sun type door costs more. Unless your seeing something I'm not seeing. I know I got a good deal because there 2011 models that they have sitting around.

The quote I got was 2130 + 295 for install. Thats a Super 27 with legs; classic black $2700 and change; tax( 13%) in; assuming I don't need anything else to WETT certify the install. I WISH I could get one for 1600!!

Ok...my quote on the the super 27 was 1850 for the stove...200 for a gold door... 1300 for top notch double lined piping...pedastal & no ash pan which would have been another 100 dollars.

Just looked at my quote The ash pan was also included; So I guess the price is pretty comparable ; for the stove anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.