Used pellet stove repair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
Just found a pellet stove that needs a new control board. It is a chateau. Anyone know anything about it and where I can get parts?

So the guy is selling the stove for $200. The new upgraded control board and wiring harness cost about $396. Is this a good deal I don't know much about the stove yet I am waiting for the model number. This would be a secondary stove that would help balance out the heat throughout the house.

My opinion is, why spend at least $600 for a stove that isn't made any longer, and who knows if you can get other parts for it in the future. Plus, since there is virtually no one on the forum that has one, you are going to be very limited with resources if you need help with it.

I understand that the stove is very cheap to buy, but there's a reason for that. IMO, get something that is more common, and the manufacturer is still in business.

Keep an eye out at the big box stores for an Englander pellet stove. When they are changing their seasonal merchandise they often go on sale and are deeply discounted. use a coupon or open a credit card for more savings. After all this, you won't be spending much more than what you are planning to spend now. There is also a guy who sells refurbished and blemished Englanders on ebay and they have original warrantys. Save yourself some headaches and don't throw your money at a dinosaur.

Wood Nugget said:
Keep an eye out at the big box stores for an Englander pellet stove. When they are changing their seasonal merchandise they often go on sale and are deeply discounted. use a coupon or open a credit card for more savings. After all this, you won't be spending much more than what you are planning to spend now. There is also a guy who sells refurbished and blemished Englanders on ebay and they have original warrantys. Save yourself some headaches and don't throw your money at a dinosaur.

I don't know if this is nationwide, but HD has the Englanders on sale right now (20% off).

As for the refurbed units on eBay, that is where I got my 10-cpm. With the lower price for the refurbed units (done by Englander), plus the Tax Credit you'll get next year, and full factory warranty, it makes no sense (to me, anyway), to buy "a pig in a poke".

If I use my tax credit now on my astoria for the 2009 tax season and it comes close to $5000 can I use the credit again for another stove or is the 30% a lifetime credit. Thanks for the advice your right, I should buy a more common stove. I just put so much money into the astoria that I would hate to put to much into a second stove.

Thanks

let me clarify.. I am using my tax credit on my 2009 taxes. My total will be around $4800. Can I buy another stove and use the tax credit again next year? Or is the tax credit 30% of $5000 maximum for your lifetime.

dhungy said:
If I use my tax credit now on my astoria for the 2009 tax season and it comes close to $5000 can I use the credit again for another stove or is the 30% a lifetime credit. Thanks for the advice your right, I should buy a more common stove. I just put so much money into the astoria that I would hate to put to much into a second stove.

Thanks

Yep, I forgot you already bought a new stove. The Tax credit has a lifetime cap of $1500, which you'll use up almost completely with the purchase & install of the Astoria.

But the other part of what I was saying still holds....don't buy something with no parts available or anyone that can help you with it.

Not saying you should buy this, but this is the same seller I bought my stove from. Great price for a basically new stove, free shipping, and a good guy to work with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TimberRidge-Pel...ltDomain_0?hash=item3a56e10a1c#ht_1873wt_1053

macman said:
dhungy said:

Thanks

Yep, I forgot you already bought a new stove. The Tax credit has a lifetime cap of $1500, which you'll use up almost completely with the purchase & install of the Astoria.

But the other part of what I was saying still holds....don't buy something with no parts available or anyone that can help you with it.

Not saying you should buy this, but this is the same seller I bought my stove from. Great price for a basically new stove, free shipping, and a good guy to work with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TimberRidge-Pel...ltDomain_0?hash=item3a56e10a1c#ht_1873wt_1053

I have to second the above suggestion since I have already participated in it. It`s the only way I know of to get a new or refurbished pellet stove with a new stove warranty plus free shipping , and all this for less than half price.

Gio said:
macman said:
dhungy said:

Thanks

I have to second the above suggestion since I have already participated in it. It`s the only way I know of to get a new or refurbished pellet stove with a new stove warranty plus free shipping , and all this for less than half price.

I got my stove from this guy and am verey happy with it. There was a minor problem with one of the blowers but Englander took care of the problem rather quickly.

macman said:
Wood Nugget said:

I don't know if this is nationwide, but HD has the Englanders on sale right now (20% off).

As for the refurbed units on eBay, that is where I got my 10-cpm. With the lower price for the refurbed units (done by Englander), plus the Tax Credit you'll get next year, and full factory warranty, it makes no sense (to me, anyway), to buy "a pig in a poke".

Hey everyone, Been reading on this site/forums for a few weeks now and decided to join in. (Its great to see a community like this). I myself have been contemplating buying a pellet stove to help with heating bills. Live in a 100 year old house (1000 SQ FT 2 Story) with some insulation, windows from the late 70's and a force air furnace from the 90's. Last year added more insulation but still dealing with a drafty house and high gas bill. I keep my house at 64 to save money. The neighborhood is sort of declining and I don't want to dump a heck of a lot more in the house since I plan on moving in a few years and I don't see recovering my investments. So I started to consider a pellet stove for the heat and the fact I can take it with me when I move.
Per Macman I see HD is having a sale on the stoves, and I also have a code to drop the price $250 more. I'm looking at the CPM-10 and looks like I can get it out the door for $1749.00 w/ the free shipping... From reading, I plan on adding a thermostat to the unit, and the thermoguard to try to heat my house. My hopes are to get the house to a comfortable 70 and notice a difference in energy savings. Thoughts

If anyone needs the code for the extra $250 saving off of $1500 or more, just let me know.....

Welcome to the forum.....Go for the 10-CPM, but insulate the %$#@ out of the house!

Good Luck and Code Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.