Used Quadra Fire Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

erinjolly

Dec 11, 2020
West Monroe, Louisiana
My husband and I recently bought a home in northeast Louisiana and it has a pellet stove insert. I believe it’s a 2003 Quadra Fire Castille insert. The insert hasn’t been used in who knows how long and is partially filled with pellets. Our house was vacant over a year before we bought it and our neighbor said the owners never used it much. We would like to have it uninstalled and sell it but know nothing/have never used pellet stoves. What would be a good asking price? And would it be worth it to try listing in the classified section here? For the right price, we’d be willing to drive around 10 hrs to meet someone if that’s what it takes since I don’t believe pellet stoves are very popular in our area. We tried every hardware store in our area and couldn’t even find plain wood pellets to test it out but it does turn on when we plug it in. I have it listed on Facebook marketplace- located in West Monroe, LA and on the Monroe, LA Craigslist with pictures and for $2000 obo but it’s barely been looked at and no one has asked about it.

Last edited:
Honestly a 17yr old stove that needs a complete tear down and rebuild. If you get a couple hundred you would be doing good.

Take the entire stove apart. If it sat in an empty house for 1 humid Louisiana summer im sure it is rusted up pretty good. If it wasn’t cleaned before it hit the humidity i bet its a caked up mess.

Reactions: erinjolly
2 grand for a used old unit is pie in the sky. Relist for 500 or OBO.

Take the entire stove apart. If it sat in an empty house for 1 humid Louisiana summer im sure it is rusted up pretty good. If it wasn’t cleaned before it hit the humidity i bet its a caked up mess.
Is that something that’s relatively easy to do? Like I can probably find a YouTube video or something

Is that something that’s relatively easy to do? Like I can probably find a YouTube video or something

yes it can be done, depends on what you think your market will spend. your looking at a lot of elbow grease and probably 200-400 hundred bucks for parts and paint (not including control board if needed). i buy them $50-$350 do all the refurbishing, paint, parts and sell them $500-$1200 depending on the stove. now the big diff is i have a paint shop and blasting equipment, welder. also do a lot of my own electronics repair so i guess if you feel up to it i say go for it and you will learn a lot about the quad Castille insert and probably not want to get rid of it ;)

Don't need any video to take it apart, just common sense. and take pictures so you know how to put it back together. Bet the motors are toast at least.

You can always sell it 'as is' for scrap or you might find a sucker, but 500 tops in working condition.

yes it can be done, depends on what you think your market will spend. your looking at a lot of elbow grease and probably 200-400 hundred bucks for parts and paint (not including control board if needed). i buy them $50-$350 do all the refurbishing, paint, parts and sell them $500-$1200 depending on the stove. now the big diff is i have a paint shop and blasting equipment, welder. also do a lot of my own electronics repair so i guess if you feel up to it i say go for it and you will learn a lot about the quad Castille insert and probably not want to get rid of it ;)
Thank you! I did not realize how far off base I was with this.

Don't need any video to take it apart, just common sense. and take pictures so you know how to put it back together. Bet the motors are toast at least.

You can always sell it 'as is' for scrap or you might find a sucker, but 500 tops in working condition.
I just re listed it saying make an offer and I guess I’ll find out if I’m smart enough to clean it up a bit. Thanks for your help!