Used Stove Sticker Shock, WHY

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I got curious. Because I pick up stoves and rehab them, when available, I'm always looking. Local WantAd had a Woodland Stove for sale. They are a knock off of the Fisher Smoking Dragons. What caught my eye was the, "New", used only a few times and the price $1,300. So in my most polite and non confrontational way, I asked a few questions and how he came up with the price. The email had hardly been sent when I got back a why do you want to know and what makes me think I know anything about it. I guess I slipped into my questions the actual 20+ age old and not exactly state of the art.

I told the fellow in a return, again politely, but not as friendly my experience and length of dealing with stoves and personal knowledge of the stove he was selling, including the 10" exhaust.

Two hours later, he came back with just throwing out the price waiting for someone like me to tell him what it was worth. So I accommodated him. Gave him the approximate scrap value, the reasons it should not be sold and installed and possibly the liability he might have if a new owner took his word the stove was a great buy and ready to go. Especially if they had a fire. I finished with a "Have a nice day".

So tell me your most outragous "ForSale" story

littlesmokey said:
Well, I got curious. Because I pick up stoves and rehab them, when available, I'm always looking. Local WantAd had a Woodland Stove for sale. They are a knock off of the Fisher Smoking Dragons. What caught my eye was the, "New", used only a few times and the price $1,300. So in my most polite and non confrontational way, I asked a few questions and how he came up with the price. The email had hardly been sent when I got back a why do you want to know and what makes me think I know anything about it. I guess I slipped into my questions the actual 20+ age old and not exactly state of the art.

I told the fellow in a return, again politely, but not as friendly my experience and length of dealing with stoves and personal knowledge of the stove he was selling, including the 10" exhaust.

Two hours later, he came back with just throwing out the price waiting for someone like me to tell him what it was worth. So I accommodated him. Gave him the approximate scrap value, the reasons it should not be sold and installed and possibly the liability he might have if a new owner took his word the stove was a great buy and ready to go. Especially if they had a fire. I finished with a "Have a nice day".

So tell me your most outragous "ForSale" story

I listed a step-top Schrader on Craigs List for free.

I even volunteered to deliver it anywhere in Western WA for $50.

It took me two weeks to give it away.

Right down the street from my house, an old guy advertised a fully restored (by Barnstable Stove Shop) Glenwood Oak Baseheater for $400.00. I almost bought it just for a room ornament, it was so beautiful, and cheap. He had paid about $3000 for it ten years ago. I always wanted a baseheater, especialy a Glenwood, but my house just isn't big enough for that kind of heat.

Just an update...Stove is still listed, but the description is gone and the price is $500. I'm thinking about a second email offerring to haul it away for $50. That's he to me.

Dang! I would have taken the Schrader in a minute - had one in an old house I rented. 400 sq ft 1-br house, huge Schrader woodstove. Spent a good part of the winter with every window, and the door, open. Loved that stove...

Hey, as long as it makes them happy, I hope they enjoy it - If I get ripped off I'd sooner not know and just go on thinking I got a deal!

I think a lot of folks price used stoves so high because they figure stoves haven't changed much over the years (silly people) and that as long as the stove is not cracked or a complete rust bucket it's still perfectly fine and when they see the prices for new stoves they figure they can still price their stove pretty high.

firefighterjake said:
I think a lot of folks price used stoves so high because they figure stoves haven't changed much over the years (silly people) and that as long as the stove is not cracked or a complete rust bucket it's still perfectly fine and when they see the prices for new stoves they figure they can still price their stove pretty high.

I think that's about the long and short of it.

I responded to an add in the classifieds here last year - guy selling a used jotul castine in matte black. He got back to me with a number - and his asking price was higher than my local dealer wanted for a new one. Funny thing was, he had bought it new a few years back from the same dealer for more money, and argued when I told him what the dealer's price was rather than just calling the dealer to hear the numbers for himself. I suggested he do that...never heard back from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.