Used Vermont Castings Duchwest 2461

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snag

Oct 12, 2009
South Central PA
We have the opportunity to buy this model cat stove from CL for my nephew. It's a 2005 stove that is reported to not have seen more than 2 or 3 cords of wood in it since install. Is installed in the basement of a second home/winter cabin. (No, we don't have to haul it out.)

Over and above looking for obvious structural issues such as cracks in the cast iron, missing legs ;-), cracked or missing fire bricks and glass, what other areas of the stove deserve a visual going over before the handshake and cash exchange? Is simply making sure the doors close snuggly and square and all parts move feely a good indicator that the stove hasn't experienced warping or serious damage? (I'm especially concerned about the catalyst.) Is there "known problesm" with this model that we should be aware of?

We're heading out tomorrow morning to give it a look see. Hopefully this will be a good buy for him and he can get the oil company monkey off his back.

Thanks,

Carolyn

I had (have) this stove for 20 years. I recently replaced with a non-cat insert to take advantage of the tax rebate. I still have the stove in storage ,and am planning to do a complete re-build. The stove has been a workhorse for its entire life. As long as you feed it a diet of very dry hardwoods, you should be very happy with her. The cats do need to be replaced periodically, depending upon useage, and wear and tear of how theyre being used (i.e.-properly or improperly). The present condition of the catalyst should not be a factor when decicing whether or not to buy the stove. Same with the gaskets - they are a maintainence issue,and do need to be replaced from time to time.
If possibe, perhaps the seller will remove the top cover for you (4 bolts). From there you will be able to see the condition of the refractory, and the general condition of the bypass and mechanics of the dampers.
You did not mention how much the cost of the stove is - but as long as its relatively reasonable, a 2461 with 2 or 3 cords burned in it is barely broken in. Im sure others will chime in with some suggestions also. All in all, Ive found it to be a great heater that,properly maintained, will serve you well for many years.

wood-fan-atic said:
You did not mention how much the cost of the stove is - but as long as its relatively reasonable, a 2461 with 2 or 3 cords burned in it is barely broken in. Im sure others will chime in with some suggestions also. All in all, Ive found it to be a great heater that,properly maintained, will serve you well for many years.

I'm glad you were long pleased with the stove. I'm hoping this will last my nephew a good long time.

Thanks for the reply and the tip on removing the top cover to access the "gutz" ;-) Will bring a tool box along and ask for the opportunity. The asking price is $700. I'm hoping this is a good price. It seems so as Amazon.com has them listed for about $1,700.

Carolyn

Keep in mind there may be some form of a tax credit this year that may make that $1700 stove on Amazon a $1500 stove. Using my invented formula, that makes $700 for the used one a good deal.

Yes-- $700 is ,indeed a good price for that stove----> especially since its barely used. Let me know if you pass on it----> I'll take it!! ;-)

The bolts on my CDW small (2460) are 7/16's, a socket a stubby wrench that size should get you into that stove top. My 15 year old CDW is still working as new with relatively little money spent 3 cats, one refractory and one gasket kit. $700.0 is a very good deal if it as advertised.

Fingers crossed it is everything he advertised it to be. He did post some pics and from what I was able to see, it does look in great shape. I picked up the cash at the bank, have the address in my GPS (it's a 2 hr drive, but I figure, worth it for the stove and the great price). The guy seems like straight-shooter so I'm not too very worried. He pulled it out of the basement and loaded it onto his pick up truck to drive it to his house today so we'll just need to slide it from his truck bed into ours. (Thank Hephaestus for that!)

Thanks to your advice, I've raided my hubby's tool box for the socket and also a few wrenches. Not quite sure what I'll be looking for, but we'll take a peep in side just to make sure it's free of snow snakes and dead mice ;-)

Carolyn

We picked up the stove yesterday and it was everything he advertised. I checked out the inside of the refractory and it looked pretty clean, the cat cumbustor hardly looked dirty, the refractory package (the foamy feeling box that sits on top of it.) was dusty and a little dark (like light toast) but looks whole and in very good shape. I think the interam gasket needs replaced as it tore when I lifted it out (oops), maybe more due to being in a basement for 5 years than burn damage?? The rest of the stove, refractory included was light grey/tan and all dials and levers operated smoothly. The only thing that was broken was the handle to controls the damper. It is designed to be in two pieces (not sure why) but the ceramic knob had been broken when he accidentally dropped it on the basement floor. All in all, I think we got a really good deal.

I'm having trouble figuring out if the bottom of the stove has the heat shield installed. I don't know if they were standard, or even necessary for this stove in 2005. When I stick my hand under the stove I'm not feeling any steel sheeting (like I have installed on the back of my own Isle Royale) and the pics provided in the install manual are not helpful to my pea-sized brain ;-). This particular unit was installed on an unfinished floor in a basement, which I understand does not require having the shield installed. The gentleman provided us all of what he had, even the receipt from when he purchased the unit new. The left front leg has a steel bracket with a round hole hat extends down from the front under the stove. I'm not sure what this is for, unless it supposed to support the missing??? heat shield??

Carolyn

I'm glad the stove met your expectations. An interim gasket can be replaced through a dealer. From your description I'd guess your internal workings are in good to burn shape. As to the bottom heat shield, see page 16 on the link provided below. As has been stated here often, these stoves need dry wood to deliver good to great burn results.

http://literature.mhsc.com/vermont_castings/manuals/7001135_Dutchwest_2460_26.pdf

Oops, I should also add, re the broken handle. I dropped mine 2-3 times, each time breaking the darned thing. Finally I manufactured my own out of a piece of wood and the existing bottom half the manufacturer provided. Not pretty but is very functional and has survived many drops.

Hope this helps

Snag said:
I think the interam gasket needs replaced as it tore when I lifted it out (oops), maybe more due to being in a basement for 5 years than burn damage??.....The only thing that was broken was the handle to controls the damper. It is designed to be in two pieces (not sure why) but the ceramic knob had been broken when he accidentally dropped it on the basement floor.
When I stick my hand under the stove I'm not feeling any steel sheeting
The left front leg has a steel bracket with a round hole hat extends down from the front under the stove. I'm not sure what this is for, unless it supposed to support the missing??? heat shield??
The interam gaskets are very fragile, as you found out. :)
All of the handles that were ever made are broken. :lol: To replace mine, I just shaped a piece of red oak and drilled a hole through the center. I don't feel any sheeting under mine (2460 small). I think the heat shield is integral, but I'm not positive. My stove is on the short legs, and the hearth beneath it is barely warm....
I think that bracket on the leg is to hold the door handle. But if the handle's broken, it might fall through....:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.