using advantech OSB?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
in a few months, i'm going to undertake a basement remodel which involves insulating the floors and walls and a seismic retrofit. i'm for sure going to use advantech as my subfloor (sitting on top of 1" insulation), but i am now contemplating using it as the sheathing for the seismic retrofit. originally, i had planned to use CDX, but it seems advantech could be much better (i still need to verify the shear strengths and whatnot).

so, my question is: is it much harder to nail into advantech vs. regular CDX? i will be nailing at 2" OC in places (typically 6" OC) so there'll be a lot of nails. i don't yet have a nail gun and was hoping to not buy one for this one time project that would require such a tool. i've thought of a palm nailer, which would come in useful in tight spots around floor joists, so the question still stands as to whether advantech will be a PITA to nail.

thanks

in a few months, i'm going to undertake a basement remodel which involves insulating the floors and walls and a seismic retrofit. i'm for sure going to use advantech as my subfloor (sitting on top of 1" insulation), but i am now contemplating using it as the sheathing for the seismic retrofit. originally, i had planned to use CDX, but it seems advantech could be much better (i still need to verify the shear strengths and whatnot).

so, my question is: is it much harder to nail into advantech vs. regular CDX? i will be nailing at 2" OC in places (typically 6" OC) so there'll be a lot of nails. i don't yet have a nail gun and was hoping to not buy one for this one time project that would require such a tool. i've thought of a palm nailer, which would come in useful in tight spots around floor joists, so the question still stands as to whether advantech will be a PITA to nail.

thanks

I own a palm nailer as well as a regular framing nailer. I've nailed into regular OSB and CDX but not adnvantech. The nail gun doesn't care, it will blow through. I used a palm nailer for joist hanger work and it is effective but NOT something you would want to use if a nailgun would do the job. You can rent nail guns.

with the nailgun, the trick is to not break the "skin" of the plywood, otherwise you lose a lot of shear capacity in a seismic retrofit. i know i could fine tune the compressor, but might be hit or miss. the drawback to renting is that i will need to do things in stages, not all at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.