Using Bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

davo

Apr 24, 2015
CT
I searched the site and couldn't find any real results to my question...

What is the best way to pack bricks, bio or other kinds, and mix seasoned cord wood to get a great overnight burn? I read laying them flat as the base and put splits on top works well...other said toss them in randomly. I have also read different angles and standing up is the best. Overall, what is the best way to use them and maximize burn time so they burn slow with the cord wood? Thanks!

I would think that having the bricks stand up so that they are tall and have the smallest surface area face catch and burn down like a wick would make it burn longer than if it laid flat or burned bottom up. So far, all I have used is bricks, no log splits. I think you posted on one of my threads about this same topic. Fwiw, last night, I used the same "fort" method I described in the post and lit the fatwood and shut the door on a cold stove at @ 9:15pm. it was in the low 30s last night and this morning the thermostat read 65 and the stove was still about as warm as a heating pad. granted there weren't any coals left, it is only an F3 and my house Isn't exactly the best insulated. I'm sure you'd have even better results when supplemented with actual logs.

If i want a long slow burn i stack them, if i want a hot and fast i hust tods them in. I will rake coals to the front of the stove, stack 4-6 bricks in the back of the stove, and then add wood for a slow burn. Otherwise i put wood in and then just toss 2-3 bricks in on top.

I dont use very many bricks. I used maybe 1/3 of a pallet last year in this manner to help out ny somewhat marginal wood.

I would think that having the bricks stand up so that they are tall and have the smallest surface area face catch and burn down like a wick would make it burn longer than if it laid flat or burned bottom up. So far, all I have used is bricks, no log splits. I think you posted on one of my threads about this same topic. Fwiw, last night, I used the same "fort" method I described in the post and lit the fatwood and shut the door on a cold stove at @ 9:15pm. it was in the low 30s last night and this morning the thermostat read 65 and the stove was still about as warm as a heating pad. granted there weren't any coals left, it is only an F3 and my house Isn't exactly the best insulated. I'm sure you'd have even better results when supplemented with actual logs.

Yeah I did comment on the other thread which was helpful. I am looking for not using all bricks but maybe 2-4 bricks then packed with cord wood on top of it. The fort method sounds interesting and I will try it! I also agree with standing them up, I wonder if that will make it burn slower. Thanks!

Yeah I did comment on the other thread which was helpful. I am looking for not using all bricks but maybe 2-4 bricks then packed with cord wood on top of it. The fort method sounds interesting and I will try it! I also agree with standing them up, I wonder if that will make it burn slower. Thanks!
Pack them tight for a longer burn

Status
Not open for further replies.