Using coal in a gasser?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

musclecar joe

Jan 14, 2010
western pa
Has anyone ever tossed a bag of coal into their wood gasser? I havent tried it but my thought for those of us who do not have storage that this may give us a longer burn time.... does anyone think this will damage the gasser being it is not rated for coal? Waiting for your thoughts and comments

Musclecar Joe

Econoburn150

ps I am suggesting using coal in conjunction with wood at the same time. Not coal alone.

Do a search for usin coal in a gasser and you should come up with some threads discussing the topic. Some gassers MIGHT handle it and others expressly warn against it. Been a while since I read that (last winter) so I can't tell which ones were flexible and which ones weren't. Would be a nice back up though.

The one problem you will have is the nozzle blocking up with clunkers and ashes

I tried one piece of coal about the size of a large grapefruit in my gasser,I threw it in on a nice bed of wood coals and I could see a small amount of black smoke coming out of my stack and could certainly smell the coal in the air.This is not something I would want to do on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.