Using great, clean burning, hot pellets makes all the difference on my 5660 stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Doty

Burning Hunk
New guys struggling a bit or anyone having low heat output and too much ash and too much cleaning the stove to keep it working up to par, give my experience a read below.... Thanks again to " SideCarFlip " for smacking me with some common sense. :) and getting me on the right track.

I started the season out with Easy Heat pellets from my dealer and also stocked at a local farm store. The stove generated a lot of ash, good heat and we were mostly happy, but not knowing what to expect and after falling into a daily clean and fill routine I was fairly happy.

On great advice from this forum I tracked down some Somerset pellets, as they are known for year after year consistency, hot !! and clean burning. WOW !!! what a difference. I have now burned a full ton, of the somersets and I now get almost 100 degrees more heat out the front when set on high, I can run from Saturday to Saturday between cleanings and when I do there is so little ash I am amazed. I now set the stove on 2 or 3 out of 5 setting for out put instead of 4 or 5 all the time and my pellets are going to be in excess instead of shortage as I end the season. Our only complaint is they put out so much heat that we sometimes wish we could stand to have a higher setting to see a larger fire when heating on low.

As to the fire pot getting a bit of a warp in the back lip on the 5660 stoves. I now have the same thing going on since it is burning so hot. It looks to be warped in about 3/16" but since I have a Dwyer Magnehelic inline all the time I can say that it is only having a very slight effect on vacuum and that goes away as soon as it burns a few hours after cleaning as it ash seals itself so far. In my case I can wait till spring to rebuild that area of the pot.

New guys struggling a bit or anyone having low heat output and too much ash and too much cleaning the stove to keep it working up to par, give my experience a read below.... Thanks again to " SideCarFlip " for smacking me with some common sense. :) and getting me on the right track.

I started the season out with Easy Heat pellets from my dealer and also stocked at a local farm store. The stove generated a lot of ash, good heat and we were mostly happy, but not knowing what to expect and after falling into a daily clean and fill routine I was fairly happy.

On great advice from this forum I tracked down some Somerset pellets, as they are known for year after year consistency, hot !! and clean burning. WOW !!! what a difference. I have now burned a full ton, of the somersets and I now get almost 100 degrees more heat out the front when set on high, I can run from Saturday to Saturday between cleanings and when I do there is so little ash I am amazed. I now set the stove on 2 or 3 out of 5 setting for out put instead of 4 or 5 all the time and my pellets are going to be in excess instead of shortage as I end the season. Our only complaint is they put out so much heat that we sometimes wish we could stand to have a higher setting to see a larger fire when heating on low.

As to the fire pot getting a bit of a warp in the back lip on the 5660 stoves. I now have the same thing going on since it is burning so hot. It looks to be warped in about 3/16" but since I have a Dwyer Magnehelic inline all the time I can say that it is only having a very slight effect on vacuum and that goes away as soon as it burns a few hours after cleaning as it ash seals itself so far. In my case I can wait till spring to rebuild that area of the pot.
Havent seen you in a while doug. Good to see you again

I agree. I had green supremes to start the season and like you was cleaning daily. Now i am into my okanagans and barley ever clean the thing its so little ash anymore. When summer roles around the machine shop at my job is gonna build me a really nice burn pot for next year.

Doug,
I was late getting my pellet stove installed this year, so I really couldn't be picky about pellets so I ordered 3 tons of Easy Heat from a local feed store @ $275/ton delivered. I have 27 bags left and can honestly say that I will not be burning these again. I burned some Barefoot, Allegheny and some Pres-to-Logs. They all seemed to put off good heat, but all produced quite a bit of ash. I'm picking up 1 ton of AWF Ultra Premium White Pine Softwood Pellets this week. I've never burned any soft wood pellets, so I'm anxious to try them.

I have tried, I think 5 different kinds and nothing compared to the Somersets in any category !! Seriously. Look at their page and distributors to see if they are an option. You won't regreat it.

YA good to check in, ... been absent for a while, I lost an only son and been pretty down I've over the whole deal and I guess I have not been fighting my stove since the good pellets hit...

Last edited:
My cleanings and ash accumulation is just almost nothing now as well. I have a little warp in my burn pot back wall now as well. I will straighten it, reinforce it, add a taper leadin lip and be good to go again next year. I use a Dwyer Magnahelic permanently mounted on the wall behind the stove and I have lost no vacuum as a result of the pot. It did drop off a tinge when it got dirty in the exhaust side and slowed the air flow out the flu pipe one time. That meter is quite telling of what is going on with a lot of things after you watch it a while.

I am needing a good top end cleaning as I have lost some heat transfer Eff. to the exchanger but do not what to shut down and do it in this weather. It needs the real deal, take it out side and get after it type of cleaning... Those Easy Heats were not properly named as they have fouled it up inside a good bit. They should have been named " Labor Intense Heats " !!!

Was thinking about you today doug. As I started burning my somersets. If you like these somersets then you ain't seen nothing yet. Lignetics and okanagan Douglas firs make somersets look like easy heats in a 5660. No joke whatsoever

Whoa !!! Seriously ?? I can't imagine but I believe ya, I'll look for some to try yet this winter. One thing I have learned for sure is how easy it is to head good advice and how easy it can be to just try a different brand until you hit the ultimate for your stove, I'll put a search on later this Eve. I'll never forget the impression I got when the Somersets hit the auger, I was about to give up and think all pellets were just about the same crappy in different ways.

don't get me wrong. i like the somersets and there burning hot and clean. i would def buy them again. but the heat coming off the okanagans was HOLY CRAP HOT and lignetics ash was ridiculously low. My favorite pellet so far is Lignetics with okangan close behind only because of the price. and thats outta somersets barefoots and awf white pine( which i hated)

Status
Not open for further replies.